cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Texas Trailer License Renewals

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Okay... Just in case you are ever leaning against the back of your camper watching the black tank drain and happen to notice that your Texas trailer license plate has been expired for two months,I thought it would be prudent to share some information with you. Here is what I learned on Wednesday:

1)It can cost $215 in Bexar County (my home county) if you are ticketed towing a trailer without a current license plate.

2)You can not renew your plates anywhere but the county you reside in.

3) If you are caught in this situation, you can go to the nearest tax assessor's office in any Texas county and purchase a "one-trip" permit for $5, which is good for fifteen days.

4)I need to do a better job of keeping up with these kinds of things!

Happy trails!
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos
20 REPLIES 20

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
martipr wrote:
I am not sure but I believe you get a printable receipt that can be used until you get the sticker. I always renew online but I really can't remember (old timers disease) but I think so.

Yes, you do get a printable receipt. But, unfortunately my tiny Colby T does not have a printer. So, that wouldn't be much help for me on the road. The best thing to do is just always make sure you keep up with things. I'm working on it.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Virginia, one can get permanent trailer plates. They cost about 3 years worth of registrations. If you keep your trailer 4 years or more, you're gold.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

KBfiredog
Explorer
Explorer
I know I am a horrible person, but I have never had my RV inspected or renewed my registration. On my 3rd 5ver since 03, better to ask for forgiveness than permission. I'm know I am bad, KB
2011 Cameo 37RESLS
2012 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure but I believe you get a printable receipt that can be used until you get the sticker. I always renew online but I really can't remember (old timers disease) but I think so.
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer

You can renew online from anywhere. TXDMV.GOV

Yes, that's true. However, that doesn't put a sticker on your license plate when you're out of town. You still have to wait for it to come in the mail!
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
jjjandrbaker wrote:
Okay... Just in case you are ever leaning against the back of your camper watching the black tank drain and happen to notice that your Texas trailer license plate has been expired for two months,I thought it would be prudent to share some information with you. Here is what I learned on Wednesday:

1)It can cost $215 in Bexar County (my home county) if you are ticketed towing a trailer without a current license plate.

2)You can not renew your plates anywhere but the county you reside in.

3) If you are caught in this situation, you can go to the nearest tax assessor's office in any Texas county and purchase a "one-trip" permit for $5, which is good for fifteen days.

4)I need to do a better job of keeping up with these kinds of things!

Happy trails!

You can renew online from anywhere. TXDMV.GOV
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I once drove the whole year before I noticed that I hadn't put the latest sticker on the license plate. I had it in the truck in the glove box, but just hadn't remembered to put the thing on. I almost didn't put it on just to see if I could make it through the second year. Almost ๐Ÿ™‚

Since we only have the one plate, and it's in front, it's not as likely to get noticed as if I also had the one in the rear.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
As far as getting renewal notices in the mail: Missouri has gone to contracting out the DMV offices to private businesses and they say they don't have to notify you that it is renewal time. They send out renewal notices as a courtesy, but if you don't get one, it's not their fault and you still will have to pay penalties.

Same in Texas. I don't blame anyone but myself when I am over due on license plates or inspections. I usually keep good track of those things. Not sure what happened this time, as I obviously did pay it. As I said, I most likely misplaced the sticker. After a few days go by, I'm less likely to remember to stick it on the plate. With my cars and trucks, I do it the day it comes. I probably just put off making a trip to the camper, and then forgot about it. The sticker is probably filed away for safekeeping somewhere. I din't even think to look for it, since I had assumed it was overdue.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
jjjandrbaker wrote:

I didn't get a ticket. I noticed the sticker was out of date and got a one-trip permit to get home from camping. I specifically asked for the permit, thinking my plate had expired, so the clerk had not reason to pull up my account, if she even could pull up another county's records.This was a tax office, not the DMV.

oh good - when you said $215 bucks i thought you got a ticket - so you're good (for now) ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ive never been bothered - for about 4 years our car trailer was stored at friends, i always paid the renewal but never could seem to remember the sticker when i was near the trailer.

i riveted the tag on my car trailer and they sent me new tags in december....still havented put the new tag on the trailer (but i have it w/ me every time i tow)....no one has bothered us and were running the trailer more frequently now than we have in years.
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
bshpilot wrote:
I'm surprised the cop gave you a ticket - he should have run the tag & known that it was renewed.

Id go to the court, perhaps the sticker was stolen (that used to happen a lot....which is why they moved automotive stickers to the windshield)....surely the judge will reduce the fine or dismiss it all together !

I didn't get a ticket. I noticed the sticker was out of date and got a one-trip permit to get home from camping. I specifically asked for the permit, thinking my plate had expired, so the clerk had not reason to pull up my account, if she even could pull up another county's records.This was a tax office, not the DMV.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
As far as getting renewal notices in the mail: Missouri has gone to contracting out the DMV offices to private businesses and they say they don't have to notify you that it is renewal time. They send out renewal notices as a courtesy, but if you don't get one, it's not their fault and you still will have to pay penalties.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I'm surprised the cop gave you a ticket - he should have run the tag & known that it was renewed.

Id go to the court, perhaps the sticker was stolen (that used to happen a lot....which is why they moved automotive stickers to the windshield)....surely the judge will reduce the fine or dismiss it all together !
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I went to renew the plate this morning only to learn that it is good until February of 2015. I must have renewed it online. Whatever happened to the sticker will forever be a mystery. I either never received it or misplaced it. My bet is on the latter. $7.00 got me a replacement. Now, all is good.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
I signed up for email reminders from the state of WA. About 45 days before my tabs need renewing I get an email reminder from the state.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures