cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The wrong setup

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
Originally my wdh was set up for a lighhter camper, and a ram 1500. I now drive a '13 ram 2500, when we bought our new camper readjusting the wdh was my concern, but as we looked at it, the truck really seemed to hold the weight well, and it pulled beautifully.

Fast forward a year. A few weeks ago i had a 2" leveling kit installed, and instantly i could tell something changed. My truck had more droop than usual, and the camper was dipping in the front slightly, which was never happening before.

Finally today, i went and got some new shoes for the camper, and then brought it home to pack for our 2 week trip. While i was hooked up in the street, ileveled the camper, and measured the top of the tongue to the ground which was 21.5". After i got parked and unhooked, i measured from the ground to the top of my ball, 25.25", so this is way off.

Is this by chance whats causing excessive droop? I realize weight distribution is probably wonky. The front of my truck, when hooked up, is only 1/2" higher than the rear so i think its close.

I know going to a cat scale is the on,y true measure, but just wondering if id have less droop if my tongue and ball were closer to the same starting point.

Btw, my dry hitch weight is 1173# according to the mfg, and there are 2 batteries and 2 30 gal propane tanks there as well.
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE
9 REPLIES 9

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
mkirsch wrote:
Did they do something to your rear suspension when they installed this 2" leveling kit? 3.75"+ of squat seems like an awful lot for a 2500 pickup towing a trailer that was being towed by a 1500 previously.

Regardless, when you dramatically change the angle of the dangle, so to speak, you have to start over and set everything up again.

This camper was not towed with the 1500.

we bought it last year, towed fine, with this setup, still does, however something after the dang leveling kit.
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Did they do something to your rear suspension when they installed this 2" leveling kit? 3.75"+ of squat seems like an awful lot for a 2500 pickup towing a trailer that was being towed by a 1500 previously.

Regardless, when you dramatically change the angle of the dangle, so to speak, you have to start over and set everything up again.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
Ive got room to drop it, sounds loke my BIL has an impact air wrench. Might just find myself in business here today.
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
You need to purchase a shank with a 4 inch longer drop if you have your present one turned down and the head located as low as it will go.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
I was referring to the part on page 10.

Step 3 - Attach Hitch Head to Shank:
level the Trailer:
measure to the ground at the fRONT and BacK of the trailer frame,
and adjust the trailer to be parallel to the ground (both fRONT and BacK measurements should be the same).
With the trailer parallel to the ground, measure from the ground to the top of the trailer coupler. The hitch ball should initially be placed as close to this height as possible. See Figure 1.

Where my initial problem is the top of my trailer coupler is 21.5, and the top of the ball is 25.25.

Anyhow maybe ill ho buy an impact wrench and see what i can do.
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
thirtydaZe wrote:
Its an equilizer, the instructions say they should be level. I know my setup os incorrect, but wondering if thats my issue with droop too.

You might have some out of date instructions.

The updated Equal-I-zer installation instructions instructions state on page 16 you should adjust the WDH so at least 50% of the front end rise is eliminated.
If you cause the front end to be lower than the unhitched height, the WDH is over adjusted.

If you get the front end right, the rear end will take care of itself.
With a properly adjusted WDH, it is not uncommon for the rear end to be 1.5-2" lower than when unhitched.

Ron

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
By adding the leveling kit to your truck, you changed the parameters that the hitch was set to. You have to adjust you hitch to the new parameters/height.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
Its an equilizer, the instructions say they should be level. I know my setup os incorrect, but wondering if thats my issue with droop too.
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure exactly how much higher the ball is supposed to be over the ball receiver, but that does sound excessive. Try the manufacturers web site. EazLift has really good instructions and diagrams about that sort of thing.