cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thomas Payne Furniture - AVOID IT

byron_bailey
Explorer
Explorer
In October 2019, we purchased 4 pieces of new Thomas Payne furniture as follows:

Theater Seating left hand recliner
Jaleco Chocolate $562.50

Theater Seating right hand recliner
Jaleco Chocolate $562.50

Theater Seating center console
Jaleco Chocolate $187.50

60โ€ Trifold Sofa
Jaleco Chocolate $1115.63

Total $2428.13 + $200.33 sales tax

This summer, less than 3 years later, the fabric on the recliner seat backs began shredding. They look horrible. This furniture has been well cared-for and we have no pets.

Even though the furniture was out of warranty, I contacted Lippert for product support. My problem (fabric shredding) is obviously not an isolated incident, because I was immediately offered a 50% discount on new furniture. The problems with this offer are numerous. Number one is that Jaleco Chocolate has been replaced with Majestic Chocolate, and the colors are very different. Therefore, any new pieces that we would purchase would not match the old pieces.
Number two is that the prices have gone up over $100 per recliner. Even with the 50% discount, we were quoted the following prices (plus sales tax and shipping):

Right Hand Recliner $668.95 less 50% = $334.48
Left hand Recliner $668.95 less 50% = $334.48
Center Console $224.95 less 50% = $112.48

After less than 3 years of use, we would be looking at nearly $1,000 to replace three pieces of our low-quality Thomas Payne furniture. AVOID PURCHASING THOMAS PAYNE FURNITURE AT ALL COSTS!
39 REPLIES 39

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not buy there product again,just some more cheap stuff they put in rv,s , might look into refurbishing it.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
A quality re-upholster will cost as much as buying new. If the original upholstery is junk why would think the frame is any better. Take some measurements and go to a furniture store.
Not Ashley Furniture, they have cheap junk too.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If it didn't hold up the first time, why-oh-why, would the OP, or anyone, even considering getting replacements from the same company? It doesn't matter who the manufacturer is, or what the product is. If the product is bad, why waste money or time even considering replacing with the same.

I suggest, as stated above, go to a different furniture store and get what fits your needs. Or, have everything reupholstered so it will match. If the "bones" of the furniture is still good, I vote for the reupholstering.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
If you replace it, go to a real furniture store. We spent just a little less than you and got a set of 3 recliners that perfectly fit our slide out. We have fulltimed in the rig for 6 months now and they're still holding up great.

Haverty's was who had something that fit for us. But we hit 5-7 furniture stores that day.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

The_ugly_duckli
Explorer
Explorer
When we decided to replace our very uncomfortable camper sofa,I went online to La-Z-Boy. Compared our available camper space dimensions to what La-Z-Boy had available.Their "College Rocking Recliner" fit our space perfectly. And at around $360 each it was a easy sell. Now with two recliners, after a long day on the road or sight seeing we can kick back and REALLY relax. No more brick of a sofa!!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Thomas PITA furniture. Lost count of how many times I've been to an RV show, plopped down in a theater seat or recliner and had trouble with some portion of each. Poor recline mechanism, electric controls that don't work right, etc.
How many times have you been to a local quality furniture store and sat on something and it only worked part way? Never.
You get what you pay for.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Byron, this forum has a long time habit of crusifying new people that have had a bad experience. Hope this doesn't turn you away from our little corner of the interweb because not all memebers are that way.

Scott

BobsYourUncle wrote:
Soooo, you bought some furniture last month, as stated in your post.

byron.bailey wrote:
In October 2019, we purchased 4 pieces of new Thomas Payne furniture as follows:

But somehow it is 3 years old, failing and out of warranty, and you have a problem with it.

And as a new member here, you have one post, to express dissatisfaction over something you just bought.

And what does this have to do with RVing?

Whole thing seems a little fishy..... :h:h:h

it has everything to do with RV'ing as it is made specifically for RV's by Lippert.. And i was just ASSUMING he meant he purchased it in 2016...
AND like MOST posters, they start off with a bang, then realize the info they can actually get from staying around

To the OP..

our TP furniture held up great in our 2016...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I think the OP meant 2017?
Shreading has been a common issue from what I've read here. I wonder if this is a problem with furniture made during a specific time period or TP stuff in general. I wonder if just having the old stuf re-upholstered would be bett.
Our 2018 TP furniture is holding up great but almost never gets any sun.

Scott

Soooo, you bought some furniture last month, as stated in your post.

byron.bailey wrote:

But somehow it is 3 years old, failing and out of warranty, and you have a problem with it.

And as a new member here, you have one post, to express dissatisfaction over something you just bought.

And what does this have to do with RVing?

Whole thing seems a little fishy..... :h:h:h
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com