cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Those with Air bags what pressure do you set?

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
Along with my WD Hitch, I installed an Air Lift "ride control" kit. It allows me to vary pressure from 5-100lbs.

Just looking to hear from others what pressures you have had most success with? Please keep the discussion limited to the various pressure settings and not regarding the pro/cons of the air bags themselves.
13 REPLIES 13

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
This question is impossible for anyone to give you a relevant answer.
It's like asking how to adjust your mirrors. Different for everyone.
It depends on how much weight you're carrying, how stiff your springs are, how your W/D hitch is adjusted, etc.
The only answer is however much it takes for your rig to sit the way you want it to.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ajcal225 wrote:
I used to run at like 55 with a 4000 camper in the bed. I discovered if I run like 25 instead, the truck is FAR more stable, using more spring instead of air.

I picked up a second overload leaf to install, and may stop using air entirely afterward.

True story, but a little different just with pin/tongue weight.
Decrease in stability or more body roll is not near as prevalent as a high CG load like a truck camper. Bags really help the bucking or sudden cantilever of load back on the tongue or pin.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ajcal225
Explorer
Explorer
I used to run at like 55 with a 4000 camper in the bed. I discovered if I run like 25 instead, the truck is FAR more stable, using more spring instead of air.

I picked up a second overload leaf to install, and may stop using air entirely afterward.

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
So I experimented and found that 30lbs did really nothing, 50lbs helped quite a bit more, but the magic was around 70lbs. It was not so much ride height, but the additional air stopped the up/down suspension bucking while towing on uneven pavement.

zenasboy
Explorer
Explorer
2002 F350 towing a 5th wheel w/ pin weight in the 2200# range. Have only pulled it from dealer to home (65 miles) and then from home and back to a local campground about 15 miles each away for a shakedown run. Had 35# in bags and seems to be about right. I might play with less/more air in the future to see if there is any improvement to ride but so far so good.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
For my application i got with 25 loaded and 0 empty.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Air bags are just an additional spring to support the vehicle. Add air till the ride height returns to normal. The WDH will need readjusted since the ride height is now higher.

htss
Explorer
Explorer
On my '08 GMC 2500HD, 5psi empty, 25psi towing my 10k fifth wheel. I will increase to 35psi if the road sucks.
2012 Chevy 2500HD DA - 2009 Open Range (33.5' fifth wheel) - B&W Companion - 40 gallon aux tank - Myself, wife and two kids

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back when I had a Class C with airbags, the airbags were supposed to be between 10psi and 100psi (if I remember correctly). I tried them at 20psi, and at 90psi, and could not tell any difference. I just set mine at 50psi and left them. (I did check them every time I checked the tire pressure.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
I usually run mine at 25psi to level.

Or 45 psi with a load of concrete.
2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
My pressure varies depending on how much air I need to level, which depends on how much junk in pick up bed at the time. Big difference between loaded up with firewood and full of water and without.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
It all depends on the vehicle and the trailer. When i had my conv van and lighter trailer the bags were best at 45 psi. Now with the X and larger trailer they are best at 20-30psi. Empty I run them at 5psi.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Isn't this a forum for discussion?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad