cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tiki Torch - BATERY Powered, NOT Solar

scottandgaye
Explorer
Explorer
So, I am looking for a few (4ish) tiki torches that are battery powered and NOT solar. Where we usually go is covered in trees and the solar ones never recharge.

Does anyone know of true battery operated tiki torches that do not rely on solar? An actual tiki torch with a real flame is out, due to the requirements of the campground.

Thanks in advance! I look forward to hearing what folks have to say.

Scott
2022 Ford F-350 LWB DRW PSD Platinum
2012 Hitchhiker Champagne 36LKRSB
7 REPLIES 7

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
scottandgaye wrote:

Side note: I'm a EE for the last 40 years. Instead of a response like "cool" or " that's great", I got a "how come you didn't know that?". You just can't win.

Scott

Well you'd not know that less you opened one up.. I'm not a professional EE (though that was the plan 50+ years ago) I'm a Ham Radio Operator. We Tinker so naturally I opened mine up... All the ones I opened had either AA or AAA batteries and I have that handy dandy 4 bay charger.
NO reason to sever the wires.. it won't hurt the batteries to recharge a little bit and due to slightly different voltages they might not recharge at all. YOu do need to pop in new batteries every so often however if you use regular ones or they leak and damage (But you know that)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Thanks I think I might get some.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

scottandgaye
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
I just noticed those rechargeable tiki's at Lowes the other day. Do you like them? Do they look somewhat realistic? I have an embankment in my yard that I always wanted to put Tiki's on. But don't like the idea of an open flame in that location. And Amazon only has short LED tiki's on plastic poles.

Yea, the are not bad. They don't put out a ton of light (just 1 AA battery), but they do they do give the area a nice soft light pattern. Our problem was that where we put them, it was always in shade and never recharged. These have an on/off switch, so I can left them out there and just turn them off when we go in for the night. Hope that helps!

Scott

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I just noticed those rechargeable tiki's at Lowes the other day. Do you like them? Do they look somewhat realistic? I have an embankment in my yard that I always wanted to put Tiki's on. But don't like the idea of an open flame in that location. And Amazon only has short LED tiki's on plastic poles.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

scottandgaye
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
The solar ones are battery powered usually AA or AAA and you can recharge them with an external charger off line (120vac)

Here is one such charger
Xtar charger

And here is another.. I have th4 4 bay model

Another Xtra Charger

Well, I just took one of the ones that we bought at Lowes's last year apart (the top just screws off) and saw that it was nothing more than a single rechargeable AA battery! I replaced it with a standard AA battery and severed the wires from the solar panel down to the control board (don't want to charge a non-rechargeable battery).

Side note: I'm a EE for the last 40 years. Instead of a response like "cool" or " that's great", I got a "how come you didn't know that?". You just can't win.

Scott

scottandgaye
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I just assumed that it used some sort of soldered in battery pack. I will look at those. I appreciate it!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The solar ones are battery powered usually AA or AAA and you can recharge them with an external charger off line (120vac)

Here is one such charger
Xtar charger

And here is another.. I have th4 4 bay model

Another Xtra Charger
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times