cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Failure

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I still had the original tires on my 2017 Coleman 300tq Toy hauler.

I was planning on replacing them next year with Good Year Endurance ST Tires.

BUT

On a recent trip to Wyoming I was 200 miles into the days route with 175 to go.

I stopped at a rest area for a short break. This was the first trip with the new TPMS system for the trailer.

As we were getting ready to pull out a tap at the window, a guy towning a toy hauler to Sturgis said I think you got a problem with your trailer tire?

Sure enough...

A 12 inch chunk of rubber was missing. Tire was still holding pressure and temp range was normal. I suspect it just happened as we were pulling into the rest area.

It was 4pm on a Friday and we were 20 miles from a Les Schwab dealer and 175 miles from a Good Year Dealer. Les Schwab won.

My original tires were D rated Constancy tires. Les Schwab's ST tire is a Tow Star E rated tire Yes they have a china stamp on them.

There was no time for procrastinating I needed the tires on.

I have had Les Schwab tires on my truck before and they do all my front end and brake work. They seem to be a stand up company

They got right on it and we were out of there in two hours.

We will just have to see if the ST Tow Stars hold up or not.

I always do a walk around before setting out and saw nothing with the tires but in the future and will be doing a closer inspection before heading out.
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
43 REPLIES 43

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I just had to replace my trailer tires (Maxxis). Had a tread separation that my TPMS did warn me with a drop in pressure from 80 psi to 65 psi.

I had already decided my next set of tires would be good Year Endurance.

I was just south of Salt Lake city. It was a Sunday so I checked in to an RV park and started looking for tires early Monday Morning. Called Big O to see if they had any Endurance tires. They checked their warehouse and all local Big O stores with no luck. Then checked with a Good Year dealer and they could not find a set of Endurance in any of their local dealers and their warehouses in Salt Lake, Denver and Reno.

So I called a Discount Tire which was less than a mile from the RV court I was in. They said they had 29 Endurance tires so I corrected him said you now have 25 tires. They installed a new set in less than 1 hour and I was back on the road before 11:00 am.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
I am an Anti-Chinese tire person. How much evidence does one need to understand the problem?

Mainland China will mfgr tires to the buyer's specs.

Most major tire brands have manufacturing facilities in China, including GY and Michelin.

For niche markets (like trailers) some companies still use their brand name, others devise creative names for their 2nd or 3rd tier tires - so tire failures don't reflect poorly on their first tier product/s.
Even *you* can be a distributor for "Lynnmore ST" (or LT) tires if you desire. The Chinese will be happy to accommodate you - and produce a tire that meets minimum specs - or improved specs & quality - whatever you want. Line up your US distribution network - and you're in business.

:W

Yea Baby let's promote our adversaries.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I am an Anti-Chinese tire person. How much evidence does one need to understand the problem?

Mainland China will mfgr tires to the buyer's specs.

Most major tire brands have manufacturing facilities in China, including GY and Michelin.

For niche markets (like trailers) some companies still use their brand name, others devise creative names for their 2nd or 3rd tier tires - so tire failures don't reflect poorly on their first tier product/s.
Even *you* can be a distributor for "Lynnmore ST" (or LT) tires if you desire. The Chinese will be happy to accommodate you - and produce a tire that meets minimum specs - or improved specs & quality - whatever you want. Line up your US distribution network - and you're in business.

:W

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
What? Four years old and a couple years past time for replacement?!

actually his tires were 5 to 6 years old. Trailer was a 2017. More than likely built in 2016. Probably sat on the lot for a year probably had 2016, or 2015 tires on it. 2021 -2017 = 5 years. 2021- 2016 = 6 years. and yes. That is a couple years past time for replacement. Those tires were just looking for a place to blow out. No matter how well they were taken care of.
Did you see the date code on the tires? You're just speculating with no data. The trailer could actually have been a late year trailer, and the tires sourced earlier that same year. That would make them 4 years old. Don't be so quick to chastise someone without determining in advance you're working with facts.

No chastizing. Just stating fact. They were overdue to be replaced. I stand by that, and I would bet the TT was built in 2016. By May, and June of the year. They are already putting the next year trailers on the lot. I bought my 2013 in June of 2012, It had been on the lot for 2 months. That tells me the new model year starts long before the year for which they are named.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
1L243 wrote:

4PM on a Friday I was happy LS was able to get me in and they were just 20 miles away. Plus I was thinking I have three more of those tires on the Trailer.

I would have done the same....Don't mind 12V. If you're not wearing AmZoil undies, a B&W hat and a Cummins T shirt, he assumes you make poor life decisions! LOL

Donโ€™t forget the TrailerAid instead of a bottle jack. :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
1L243 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
" Les Schwab's ST tire is a Tow Star E rated tire Yes they have a china stamp on them."

SAD you didn't get to the GY dealer.

So your spare tire wouldn't have gotten you an additional 155 miles and saved your self more tire issues in the future?

4PM on a Friday I was happy LS was able to get me in and they were just 20 miles away. Plus I was thinking I have three more of those tires on the Trailer.

I may not even have this trailer in two years if they last that long fine if not I will replace them when I'm not stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I read a atricle recently there they were shooting down all ST tires no matter where they were made and going with a LT truck tire?

Lots of haters but the ENDURANCE has a perfect track record for non road hazard failures.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
1L243 wrote:

I would have done the same....Don't mind 12V. If you're not wearing AmZoil undies, a B&W hat and a Cummins T shirt, he assumes you make poor life decisions! LOL
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
1L243 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
" Les Schwab's ST tire is a Tow Star E rated tire Yes they have a china stamp on them."

So your spare tire wouldn't have gotten you an additional 155 miles and saved your self more tire issues in the future?

I may not even have this trailer in two years if they last that long fine if not I will replace them when I'm not stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I read a atricle recently there they were shooting down all ST tires no matter where they were made and going with a LT truck tire?

Yes to the Les Slobs is now up there in the ranks of Firestone Service Centers for the most upselling and ripoff sales tactics.

RE LT tires, you "can" find a few 15" LTs that have decent load capacity, but still nowhere near what you can get in a 15" ST tire if load capacity is something that interests you.
You have 15s, but 14s are a non starter for LT tires anymore.

Not until you get into 16s and larger can you get LT tires with the same or greater load rating as ST tires.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Les Schwab is a very reputable company."

That is truly a sad statement as they are jumping on your back before you can get out of your rig that sell LOW quality products. But hey they have great "SERVICE".

They used to be a quality Company but sadly no longer the case,

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Terryallan wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

actually his tires were 5 to 6 years old. Trailer was a 2017. More than likely built in 2016. Probably sat on the lot for a year probably had 2016, or 2015 tires on it. 2021 -2017 = 5 years. 2021- 2016 = 6 years. and yes. That is a couple years past time for replacement. Those tires were just looking for a place to blow out. No matter how well they were taken care of.
Did you see the date code on the tires? You're just speculating with no data. The trailer could actually have been a late year trailer, and the tires sourced earlier that same year. That would make them 4 years old. Don't be so quick to chastise someone without determining in advance you're working with facts.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
My local Les Schwab store does horrible work and they use cheap Chinese valve stems and wheel weights.
Had a set of their trailer tires seperate after less than a 1000 miles of service.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^You do some funny math there in NC!
Is that just like the terry Allen factor of safety principle or??
Or since the mfg date of the tires is 100% supposition, youโ€™re just assuming worst possible case as if itโ€™s a fact?

FWIW, I just bought a 2017 trailer this year. Original tires and they have a mfg date of Feb 2017 iirc. I recalled looking at them and thinking they just had their fourth birthday this past spring when we picked up the camper.
I get the trailer tire thing. I do. Have had many light duty trailers and there is some merit to not letting them get too old, but no need to take it to the extreme.
Like the ole boy on here who used to post about changing his trans fluid after every road tripโ€ฆ.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers