cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tire valve-who knew?

jk31668
Explorer
Explorer
anyone with dually tires ever have problems putting air in the outer rear tires? valve stem faces in and is impossible to access without a 2 ended air chuck or taking the wheel cover off. my rv dealer just told me about and installed a 135* valve extension which faces out and extends past the wheel cover. now i can easily pull into any gas station or use my own compressor. i never knew. is this old news to you old timers?
9 REPLIES 9

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MrWizard wrote:
Your ram dually doesnt need 100# air pressure
Try that with doubled ended crows foot tire inflator with your compressor
In the mud in a campground, or anyplace else
And you have to have your own system
Won't find one that the gas station with the little air station
And
A real pita squatting there holding that thing while trying to get that much air in a class A tire

I vote for the extenders, or valve stems turned out and easy to reach

80# or 100# I would not spend $ on any type of extension as I don't have any issue with the OE system. Push or pull no difference to me.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
jk31668 wrote:
anyone with dually tires ever have problems putting air in the outer rear tires? valve stem faces in and is impossible to access without a 2 ended air chuck or taking the wheel cover off. my rv dealer just told me about and installed a 135* valve extension which faces out and extends past the wheel cover. now i can easily pull into any gas station or use my own compressor. i never knew. is this old news to you old timers?

Yes, this is old news...and has been discussed numerous times on this and other RV forums.

The preferred solution is Borg Dually Valves.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

MrWizard
Your ram dually doesnt need 100# air pressure
Try that with doubled ended crows foot tire inflator with your compressor
In the mud in a campground, or anyplace else
And you have to have your own system
Won't find one that the gas station with the little air station
And
A real pita squatting there holding that thing while trying to get that much air in a class A tire

I vote for the extenders, or valve stems turned out and easy to reach
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ZERO issues using a double ended inflator with my RAM Dually.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Our Motorhome came with valve stem extensions, the braided steel ones. The one on the street side worked fine, but the one on the curb side some times would have trouble airing up or checking tire pressure. I adjusted that one and re-installed and it was fine after that.

When we replaced the tires last year, we purchased a set of Tireman valve stems. These are a one piece valve stem, not extensions. They are pricey, but they are worth the piece of mind and the ease of airing up. Since we had them installed with the new tires, we weren't charged extra for installing them.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
I ha 2 flat tires using extenders with rubber valves. After that I found out about metal valve stems.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new set of 4 braided extensions from Amazon for $20. They are about 6" long
and come with a clamp to bolt onto the rims (inner holes). I just took the
old rubber ones off which looked to be 20 years old and they were still good
but felt it was time as I got new tires.
Brian

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
I have put extensions of various shapes on several rv's. with metal valve stems I have had no issues. Rubber stems, different story. Make sure the extended are on snugly but not overtight. Too tight will crush the "O" ring but too loose will leak.

Check the air pressure a few times after installing over the next several days to make sure all is well and then have happy travels.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Just make sure the extension is supported in some way. That much weight on the end of your original stem without being attached to something could cause a problem.

Not knowing exactly what you have, it may not be an issue but it is worth checking.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition