cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toad suggestions to meet my needs

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings. I have just purchased my first class A, a 2008 Monaco Monarch gasser. It is 35', GVWR 22,000' and towing capacity 5,000'. I need to tow a 4x4, prefer 4 down, that will be reasonable on "off the highway" roads such as gravel and dirt roads in the back country. I don't need an aggressive off the road vehicle, but one that can get me through some mud and snow on dirt and gravel roads. The toad will also be used for traditional transportation when not in remote camps. I would like to keep the budget <$6,000. I started looking at Suzuki Samurai and Jeep liberty. Thoughts on my best choices?? Thanks everyone.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd
10 REPLIES 10

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We towed our 2004 Jeep Liberty for 10 years and still use it. It has 175,000 miles on it.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

et2
Explorer
Explorer
The jeep Wrangler would be a wise choice.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed a Subaru for years. Its also my daily driver. As Bobbo said, only manual transmission Subarus are tow-able 4 wheels down.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Dadio24
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe trade the Tacoma for a 4-door jeep and cover both toy catagories...I sold the 2-door and bought a 4-door jeep. Best thing I ever did for a TOAD.

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments. Dadio, I like the Wrangler but would even the old ones are going for 10K. A buddy just emailed me and told me the Samurai was uncomfortable (he's 6'2" though). If this was a primary vehicle for me, I would not have a problem spending more money. I have a 2014 4x4 Tacoma I use for hunting and fishing, but it can't be towed 4 down and is too heavy for the Monaco Monarch. Can only have so many toys, lol.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
If a manual transmission is acceptable, look into a Subaru. Subaru automatic transmissions can NOT be towed except on a trailer.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Dadio24
Explorer
Explorer
Increase your budget just a little and go for the Jeep Wrangler 2000 or newer.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Chevrolet Tracker the twin of the Vitara. Autotrader.com shows quite a few of them nationwide.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would suggest a Suzuki Grand Vitara over the Samurai. They ride better and more comfortable. Grand Vitaras are better equipped with AC, door locks and power windows.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, you may have to stay with the Suzuki or the Liberty for the price range. Most Wranglers in dependable condition will run a little more. I've never been in the Suzuki, buy when I use my brother's Liberty, it bothers my right let where it rubs against the center consol.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.