cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Convert-A-Ball info

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do any of you have experience with this ball set? I've had this unit for a long time, but only used it once to tow a large air compressor, so it's in like=new condition.

My set has a hex shaped, 1" stud with a hex shaped flange on it (two piece) and the balls all fit very precisely on the stud. I'm pretty sure it was Convert-A-Ball brand, but I see all the new ones have a round stud the whole way up to the ball interface. The problem is I can't find any rating marks on the parts, which I find strange. Every new kit lists the rating for SS 1" stud with three ball sizes at 10,000 lb rating, but not sure I want to assume mine is rated for that. I want to mount it on a new stinger and tow a trailer rated at 7000 lbs, but without accurate info I feel like I should buy a new ball and move on. Shame not to use the one I have, though. Your thoughts?
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH
5 REPLIES 5

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
Found it! Valley Adapt-A-Ball stainless steel rated at 8000 lbs GTW. Thanks for playing!
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't find in on any Mfg'ers site. Master locks has one that looks similar, but still not it.

To be clear, the hex shape isn't just the base of the stud, it goes the whole way up through the ball and has a color coded pin for each ball. The ball cannot rotate even with the pin not installed. The pin prevents lift only. The hex shape prevents rotation.
Sunset Creek 298 BH

APT
Explorer
Explorer
My Convert A Ball has a hex shape shaft. I'll look for some ratings tonight.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Looking on Google, there are hex base systems from Curt, Reese, TowReady, etc. Curt definitely shows a 1" shank.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I have a pretty old Convert A Ball set and the shank is round, so is every Convert A Ball set I have ever seen. I strongly believe it is a different brand. I have seen one set that had a hex shaped shank but it was not Convert A Ball:)
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"