cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front cap fade and Vivilon

x96mnn
Explorer
Explorer
Have read a few post about cheaper gel coats used on many RVs manufactured today. With the new in thing seeming to be darker colored RVs, this fade, especially on the caps are becoming more noticed.

I have a 2015 Sandpiper, and although no issues yet in know of several post from 2012s and 2013s who are experiencing it. Although I wax, usually twice a year I wanted to start thinking about what if it happens to me, some may even say when.

Found this product called Vivilon, was wondering if anyone has tried it?

http://www.vivilon.com/recrepics.html
6 REPLIES 6

ckwizard777
Explorer
Explorer
I had ours clear coated, it's always shiney now.
Ken & Deb
2008 Montana 3400
2007 Chevy 3500HD CC,LB Dually 8.1

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the fading problems are from no UV inhibitor in the gel-coat. You can rub and wax until you are blue in the face. It may look good for a month ot two but it will be back. The ONLY real cure is to have it painted. I had my front cap painted almost 3 years ago with a base coat clear coat process. Still looks good. Now my rear cap looks like dung. Having it painted this Spring. Shop around to some big truck repair refinish shops. Paid $1500. for the front but recently found a shop that will do the rear for $800.00. Have to have it done. Nobody will want to give anything for it the way it looks.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

SH
Explorer
Explorer
I am not familiar with the product you mention but I did have one of the infamous fading gray caps on a new (then) 2011 Big Country. Our cap took a lot longer to fade (two years) than many of our friends. Although it eventually did fade, I attribute the delay to keeping it well coated with Rejex.
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo 🙂

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a couple of cans of clearcoat from napa. I think that will put the shine back on, at least for a while. What do ya think?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I had mine repainted with a two part epoxy paint.
It shines great and seems to be more durable than the old gel-coat.
Problem solved.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
My new fiver isn't the dark colored cap, but more the tan, or off-white color. I am waxing the entire rig twice a year and will try to get a third coat on the front cap a third time.

Any colored material will fade, no matter if it is your residential siding or your vehicle finish. You won't notice it with white finishes, but they actually fade also. If you ever remove old decals from a white RV you will see how they have faded.

I am just keeping high quality wax on mine and hoping for the best.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!