cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tornado destroys campground in Saskatchewan

Reading the news this morning, spotted this article describing chaos and destruction at Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan when a tornado touched down.

Many RVs destroyed, but thankfully nobody was killed. There were a few injuries, but not life threatening.
The campground is flattened, nothing left of it. The place was full for the long weekend.

Sad situation, my heart goes out to those families affected.

Scary stuff, we are heading into Sask with the TT in August.

News report here.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
15 REPLIES 15

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Z, wow, I've never heard of a park that big. Thanks for explaining.

Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry did not want to sound like I owned the campground. When I say we I am talking about the campground where I own 2 lots. The campground has over six thousand lots. I think it is actually the biggest private campground in the country if not the world that is not part of some state or national park. It is a private campground not open to the public other then coast to coast members. Here is their web site if you want to look at the map. It is a big place.

https://woodhavenassociation.com/

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Zcookiemonstar, I have a question, what do you mean 'we have over six thousand lots'?

Thanks,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
We had a tornado come through our campground a few years ago. We were lucky it came through on a Monday so not as many people and no one was killed. We have over six thousand lots. Many trailers were flipped, totaly blown apart or had trees just smash through them. We were lucky with no major property damage. We did loose several pounds of meat in out freezer because they turned the power off at every site and did not let anyone in untill the roads were clear enough and Emergency Management said it was safe. That took 5 days. I have seen tornado damaged areas before but it is totaly diferent when it is an area you are familiar with.

Another update.

Apparently now they are saying it was 2 tornadoes.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
In the first linked article, there's a "before and after" picture taken by a camper, of being surrounded by a forest of tall trees; and after, nothing really is taller than the RV ๐Ÿ˜ž How a packed 200-site campground survived that without anyone being killed is a miracle.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

fly-swatter
Explorer
Explorer
Pine Lake was the one that got hit near Red Deer on July 14th of 2000. 12 people died that day.
2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
2012 Flagstaff 8524RLS

colliehauler wrote:
Wasn't there another campground destroyed a few years ago around Calgary?

I don't recall that myself, but I've only lived in Calgary since late '13.

Could have been before that, or the other thing is my memory may be turning to swiss cheese! :B

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Man 'thinks' they can 'control' everything. They cannot, especially the weather.

No need to control the weather,
Just build stronger structures !

https://tridipanel.com/

Now when it comes to Rvs and cars
maybe hemp is the answer
https://youtu.be/srgE6Tzi3Lg

Another article, updating the storm damage.
Update

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wasn't there another campground destroyed a few years ago around Calgary?

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been in a couple of storms that were really bad. During one, we sat in the campground bathroom for about 15 minutes. When we came out, tents and equipment were gone. Picnic tables thrown across the road. Luckily, the MH's & TT had minor damage such as bent stabilizer jacks. Luckily, the RV's were still upright.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
mdcamping wrote:
Good to read no one was seriously hurt, that's the best news!

Mike
I agree.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Man 'thinks' they can 'control' everything. They cannot, especially the weather.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB