cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tornado Safety

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly, it appears that several RVers were killed in Louisiana by a tornado while in their RV. What is a safe way to weather a storm?
I would think it would be obvious to shelter in a fixed structure in the campground. Otherwise wouldn't it be better to get in your tow vehicle or toad where you would be surrounded by steel? I would even consider idling the engine so the airbags were active. Thoughts?
Currently Between RVs
50 REPLIES 50

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a quick exit out of a RV, head for the nearest bath house. We spent many hours in Alabama's - men and women together. People brought in a chair, weather radio, flashlights, water, snacks and we had a instant party in the bathroom. ๐Ÿ™‚ State park rangers would come around and knock on doors and that's where they told us to go. Of course, they were constructed of concrete blocks...a wood-frame structure wouldn't be as safe.

If you stay in tornado areas, when you check in ask where the nearest emergency shelter would be. Sometimes they're given on the park maps you receive. These areas are usually well prepared.

We were once on a interstate in Oklahoma getting fuel. Everyone was in the facility watching the news of a tornado quickly approaching the area we were. The truckers seemed to be staying right where they were - in the building. We spotted an highway underpass so quickly drove and parked - with many others. Cars were even driving up the steep slope under the highway and tucking in. Later, folks living in the area told us that is the worst place to park as the wind will funnel right through it. Luckily, the tornado hit a couple miles away but we did encounter extremely large hail so at that point, we were lucky we were parked under the overpass.

When driving the tornado states always stay tuned to weather reports and a weather radio is highly recommended. Stay safe out there.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
First: Advanced warning is important.. A good WEATHER/ALL Hazards Radio can save your life, has saved many already.

Next is preparation: Know where the campground Shelter is. (And get ye to it)

NOTE: With Tornadoes this is not always possible. but I once laughed when taking a test because the question was:
Where is the best place to take shelter during a hurricane?
A: underground
B: Above ground (outdoors)
C: indoors
๐Ÿ˜ง IN a shelter outside the storm area

I have long said the best place to be when disaster strikes is... ELSEWHERE (Option D)

Finally: The Government (NOAA) conducts weather spotter classes. Many amateur radio clubs host these classes,, They not only teach you how to spot Tornadoes and other weather situtations, but what do do when you see one coming. (or hear it).. I recommend these classes.. YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE A RADIO OPERATOR to attend.

X2.

A tornado can lift a vehicle or RV. Last place you want to be is in a vehicle getting thrown through the air at speeds you'd never drive on the ground.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DougE wrote:
Sadly, it appears that several RVers were killed in Louisiana by a tornado while in their RV. What is a safe way to weather a storm?
I would think it would be obvious to shelter in a fixed structure in the campground. Otherwise wouldn't it be better to get in your tow vehicle or toad where you would be surrounded by steel? I would even consider idling the engine so the airbags were active. Thoughts?

Answer:

Safest place for a tornado is underground, ditch or crawl into a storm drain.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having seen the total devastation possible by tornados it seem there are few above ground buildings they can't destroy. Being in or around RV's of any type, mobile homes, wood houses, and the like is a truly bad idea. With Hurricanes you usually have days to make a decision on what to do. Tornados, perhaps just a few minutes. Find a low, concrete structure and hope.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First: Advanced warning is important.. A good WEATHER/ALL Hazards Radio can save your life, has saved many already.

Next is preparation: Know where the campground Shelter is. (And get ye to it)

NOTE: With Tornadoes this is not always possible. but I once laughed when taking a test because the question was:
Where is the best place to take shelter during a hurricane?
A: underground
B: Above ground (outdoors)
C: indoors
๐Ÿ˜ง IN a shelter outside the storm area

I have long said the best place to be when disaster strikes is... ELSEWHERE (Option D)

Finally: The Government (NOAA) conducts weather spotter classes. Many amateur radio clubs host these classes,, They not only teach you how to spot Tornadoes and other weather situtations, but what do do when you see one coming. (or hear it).. I recommend these classes.. YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE A RADIO OPERATOR to attend.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
RVs are not good, but neither are vehicles. They also get tossed around and destroyed. If the RV park or campground does not have a designated shelter it is best to go where some shelter is available when a storm is approaching, and well before it arrives.