cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing 2003 Explorer 4WD With 6cyl MB Diesel

HardyC
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 Freightliner Mini Vista Cruiser (4231) with the Towing 6cyl Mercedes Diesel. After some effort, I've managed to get my 2003 Explorer 4WD set up with a neutral tow kit and now I'm having second thoughts as to whether I can/should tow it with my MVC. I'd very much appreciate insights from anyone with a similar MVC who has towed a vehicle with four wheels down and specifically a heavier vehicle (just over 4,000 pounds) like my Explorer. I know lighter would be better, but my question is whether it will create any problems I may not be aware of.
Hardy Childers
2008 Vista Cruiser Mini 8231
5 REPLIES 5

HardyC
Explorer
Explorer
I am hoping to contact someone who has towed an Explorer or other 4,000+ weighted vehicle with the same setup we have. My Sprinter 3500 has a tow hitch rated at 5,000 pounds and my Freightliner/Sprinter 3500 user manual lists maximum towing weight as 7500 lbs. The Explorer is just over 4,000 pounds. So... The question seems to be simply whether the towing experience would be a problem because of the smallish Mercedes diesel engine. We don't mind slowing down when going up grades or in mountainous regions. Please contact me with your experience if you have done this or advise if you know this is not advisable. We need to make a decision soon as to whether to invest in towing the Explorer four down.
Hardy Childers

HardyC
Explorer
Explorer
My Sprinter 3500 has a tow hitch rated at 5,000 pounds and my Freightliner/Sprinter 3500 user manual lists maximum towing weight as 7500 lbs. The Explorer is just over 4,000 pounds. So... The question seems to be simply whether the towing experience would be a problem because of the smallish Mercedes diesel engine. We don't mind slowing down when going up grades or in mountainous regions. I need to find someone who has towed an Explorer with the same setup if at all possible.
Hardy Childers

mm047
Explorer
Explorer
My 2008 Winnie View on a 2007 Sprinter chassis is only rated to tow 3500 lbs. I suspect yours is the same. I routinely tow my 2010 Mariner with it (Same as the Ford Escape). The Mariner weighs 3475 lbs, so I'm right at the limit.

The performance is good. I drive through the mountains of the west most of the time, and will never get pulled over for speeding going up, but that's OK.
Mike M.

2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6
2016 Flagstaff 21FBRS
Equal-I-Zer

Loren_Ross
Explorer
Explorer
KDJ is correct, you need to check your manufacturer recommendations. There should be a tag on the door frame with all your weight limitations spelled out. Total weight, towing weight, and pulling weight are usually listed. Also check your hitch to see what weight limit it has. A class 3 hitch can tow 5,000 pounds, but many of the smaller coaches come with a smaller hitch that may only be capable of 3,000 pounds. From experience, NEVER exceed the manufacturers recommendations. I towed a 5,200 pound car on a 5,000 pound hitch and bent both the drop down hitch and the hitch frame. Almost caused some major damage that way.

Good luck!!

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
What does your RV Manufacturer say about it? Do you have an Owner's Manual?
I may be wrong, but I suspect the Explorer is too heavy for your rig.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.