cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing 2008 Wrangler JK

RicoSuave
Explorer
Explorer
I am attempting to tow a 2008 Wrangler JK that requires the ignition key to be turned to unlock the steering wheel. Owners manual states to tow it the negative battery cable needs to be disconnected. I was planning on using a battery disconnect switch. However, I need power to operate the Brake Buddy which draws power from the lighter socket or accessory socket. I can wire an additional socket directly to the battery or I was hoping to just remove a fuse that kills whatever is turned on with the first click of the key.
Does anyone have knowledge of what fuse would achieve the desired results or will I need to stay with a battery disconnect switch?
How do others who tow a 2007 or early 2008 Wrangler handle this issue?
Later 2008 models do not have locking steering columns.
Richard and Iris
Puddles (Shih-Tzu)
2005 Coachmen Aurora 3480DS
2006 VW Beetle conv. & 2008 Wrangler X Toads
10 REPLIES 10

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
haddy1 wrote:
mowermech wrote:
IMO, the "easiest way" is to have a competent mechanic remove/disable the steering lock. Once that is done, there will be no need to leave the key in the ignition ever again!
Just something t6o think about...

I tried this approach. Good luck in finding one that will do it.

On the earlier models, removing the pin is a diy job. On the newer ones, it's a lot more complicated. I know, I tried.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/08-jk-steering-wheel-locking-pin-removal-129718/
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

RicoSuave
Explorer
Explorer
Haddy1 appears to win the prize for this tricky question. Thank You, Haddy1 for your prompt reply. I found the fuse and it is exactly as you described. Very easy to access and pull. I will give it a try at my earliest opportunity. I assume you pull this fuse whenever you tow your 2007 Wrangler? I would more than welcome any advice and suggestions you can offer to help me with the proper and safe towing of this vehicle.
Currently I have installed a Blue Ox baseplate, full electrical connector and wiring to attach to coach, full set of diodes at rear lights and plan on using my Brake Buddy that I have been using to tow my VW Beetle.
When hitched up and connected to the coach everything worked as expected except I did not attempt to pull it until now when I realized the ignition switch doesn't allow unlocking the steering without powering on the vehicle.
The other option to power the Brake Buddy is to access the auxiliary
12 volts available at the coach 7 pin connector and run an additional wire into the Jeep if I were to use a battery disconnect switch instead.
Thanks to everyone for their input.
Richard and Iris
Puddles (Shih-Tzu)
2005 Coachmen Aurora 3480DS
2006 VW Beetle conv. & 2008 Wrangler X Toads

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
IMO, the "easiest way" is to have a competent mechanic remove/disable the steering lock. Once that is done, there will be no need to leave the key in the ignition ever again!

I tried this approach. Good luck in finding one that will do it.

On the earlier models, removing the pin is a diy job. On the newer ones, it's a lot more complicated. I know, I tried.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Does your 2008 JK have a steering column lock? There were owners manual errors in some of those years. You may not need to disconnect anything if it does not have the lock. Easy to check.

Guaranteed his 08 is the same as our 07, it will lock the steering if the key is in the Off position.

Easiest method is to disconnect the (-) cable, turn the key on, and a set of external lights. or a harness Like This
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Your JK is a lot different than our 2003 TJ, but sounds like the ignition lock is the same; all I do is turn the ignition key to the first "off" position (as stated in the owner's manual) before towing. I have a single ignition key so there is no bouncing or jiggling of a large set of keys that might dislodge the key from the correct position. We have SMI's StayNPlay system which is real good, no piston sitting on the floorboard that has to be moved before starting the Jeep after unhooking from the RV. A small piston is located behind the dash on the firewall and the control box is located under the hood, nothing is in the way of driving the Jeep like some other systems.

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
Do any of you even bother to read what the OP posted. He states that his vehicle still has the locking steering, so he can't tow without the switch being on. "Being on" means that the battery will be drained no matter what braking system he has.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Does your 2008 JK have a steering column lock? There were owners manual errors in some of those years. You may not need to disconnect anything if it does not have the lock. Easy to check.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
RicoSuave wrote:
I am attempting to tow a 2008 Wrangler JK that requires the ignition key to be turned to unlock the steering wheel. Owners manual states to tow it the negative battery cable needs to be disconnected. I was planning on using a battery disconnect switch. However, I need power to operate the Brake Buddy which draws power from the lighter socket or accessory socket. I can wire an additional socket directly to the battery or I was hoping to just remove a fuse that kills whatever is turned on with the first click of the key.
Does anyone have knowledge of what fuse would achieve the desired results or will I need to stay with a battery disconnect switch?
How do others who tow a 2007 or early 2008 Wrangler handle this issue?
Later 2008 models do not have locking steering columns.

This is why I went with an airbrake cylinder

like this.

I have an extra,, make me an offer.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
There is a fuse (60a I believe) with a t-handle in the TIPM. The fuse is labled IOD (ignition off draw). Pull it and you will be good to go. Utility outlet will still be powered and you will not lose any radio presets. Only the clock will have to be reset.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad