cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing 2014 jeep rubicon x

Toddoo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 monaco diplomat 43dft that I am towing a 2014 jeep rubicon x with and have about 3,000 miles of towing on it. The front tires are aggressive tread tires are stock BF Goodrich mud terrain LT 255/75/R17. PROBLEM is the front tires have 100% tread has been destroyed and needed to be replaced. I want to know if anyone else has had a similar situation. I tow with a falcon 2 bar. Is this alignment or something else?
29 REPLIES 29

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Toddoo wrote:
Thanks for everyone's advise on wearing of tires. I towed this weekend, total 120 miles, no visible damage I could see. From the posts I have seen the difference in height from the falcon to the jeep maybe a problem and I will try the towel on the steering wheel next tine and see what it does. Does anybody know if my jeep in Lower then the recommended 3 inches, does falcon make a adapter to lower the telescoping arms? Thanks todd

You can buy a drop hitch, they come in 2" 4" 6" and 8" they go in the receiver on the coach and lower (or raise) the mount point for the towbar by that amount. This is not the ball hitch adapter, it has a stinger that inserts in the receiver on the coach and has a receiver for the stinger on the towbar. Do not get a long 6" drop, the leverage on your hitch may break the welds, happened to me in Alaska!
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
toddoo,
I won't tell you anything different than what's already been stated. I've towed 7 different Jeeps, (3)CJs, (2)YJs, and (2)TJs. The last one, an '04 Rubicon with a 6" lift and a whole host of other mods for quality off roading. And, in towing all of those, all over the western U.S., I've never had any tires wear in the front, due to towing them. So, not really sure of what your problem is. If your jeep does not do bad on the road driving it, then I really can't see how this could be an alignment problem. But, I'm certainly no expert, jut have a ton of experience.

By the way, in my Jeeping days, which ended only a couple of years ago, I don't recall a Rubicon "X" model. At that time, as far as I can recall, Jeeps lowest ranking wrangler was the model "X". And, the highest ranking model was the Rubicon. Heck, I don't even remember what was in the middle with the exception of the Sahara.

So, if yours is a RUBICON X model, it's a new one on me. But, I learn things every day. That doesn't mean I'll remember any of it.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Toddoo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for everyone's advise on wearing of tires. I towed this weekend, total 120 miles, no visible damage I could see. From the posts I have seen the difference in height from the falcon to the jeep maybe a problem and I will try the towel on the steering wheel next tine and see what it does. Does anybody know if my jeep in Lower then the recommended 3 inches, does falcon make a adapter to lower the telescoping arms? Thanks todd

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
Hedgehog wrote:
We towed my wife's 2009 rubicon for more than 6000 miles over a 4 year span. Got close to 50,000 miles out of the stock tires. Now are towig a 2014 sahara unlimited. Both jeeps didn't require a key in. There are no steering locks

2007 and I believe 2008 JK have locking steering wheels.

Pogoil

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from class A forum
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

2bzy2c
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just to make certain, you did put the transfer case in neutral right?
More specifically, disconnected your drive train via the transfer case.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Hedgehog
Explorer
Explorer
We towed my wife's 2009 rubicon for more than 6000 miles over a 4 year span. Got close to 50,000 miles out of the stock tires. Now are towig a 2014 sahara unlimited. Both jeeps didn't require a key in. There are no steering locks

bass_n_bob
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 Sahara Unlimited with 41000 miles on the jeep odometer and over 40,000 miles being towed behind the MH. Original tires and just passed state inspection. I have them rotated every 4000 miles on the odometer. I wonder if the OP's challenge is due to the aggressiveness of the tires. As much as I would love to get bigger tires, problems like the OP is having dissuades me from doing so.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
lostdog wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
lostdog wrote:
Are your sure that your Falcon 2 tow bar has both of the arms extended fully and the exact same length when towing? If not I would believe that only one of the arms is doing the towing which would put a side force on the front of the Jeep when going down the road.

When the arms are not equal, the jeep will locate off center but still be straight with the coach. That should not cause excessive wear on tires.

But pulling more from one side.

to cause this amount of wear, the jeep would have to be in the ditch, or other lane. But the length allowed by the Falcon tow bar you couldn't get the jeep far enough off center to do any wear at all.
Theory is good, doesn't work in practical application.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

lostdog
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
lostdog wrote:
Are your sure that your Falcon 2 tow bar has both of the arms extended fully and the exact same length when towing? If not I would believe that only one of the arms is doing the towing which would put a side force on the front of the Jeep when going down the road.

When the arms are not equal, the jeep will locate off center but still be straight with the coach. That should not cause excessive wear on tires.

But pulling more from one side.
Chuck n Terri
2017 Heartland 3875FB
2016 Chevy 3500 Duramax
Rica, the old cat
Max E. Dog, the puppy dog
Kirby, the old dog, passed but not forgotten

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
lostdog wrote:

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Our 07 JK has 97,000 miles on it, we are on our second set of tires, and they are not yet showing much wear. We trailer when we are going long distance, make as wide as we can turns when we are 4 down. Rotate tires every 10k, & keep proper air pressure. We have never had the front end aligned, we always tow with the key in and in the run position, transfer case in neutral transmission in park and the battery disconnected. We have the Falcon II tow bar, and the light harness from Cool-tech.

OBTW our JK has a 6" lift kit, and 34" tires. tow bar is 1" higher at the jeep, than the ball on the coach.

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2007 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 4 door has Kelly Safari TSR 33 inch tires. We have towed it over 20,000 miles Falcon all terrain tow bar set up 1 inch from level. Jeep has 3 plus inch lift. Tires look perfectly worn left to right and expect another 15,000 miles out of them.
I do not run tire pressure at recommended pressure. I run at 30 psi. for the larger tire.

Pogoil.

lostdog
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck n Terri
2017 Heartland 3875FB
2016 Chevy 3500 Duramax
Rica, the old cat
Max E. Dog, the puppy dog
Kirby, the old dog, passed but not forgotten