cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SQUIRREL!!!

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
This cute red pine squirrel is hiding walnuts. I'm watching him out the window. He's hiding them up in the undercarage of our camper. I went out to see what's up. He scampered atop the gas tank and appears to be protecting his turf. Before he buries his nuts in our cabinets and upholstery, how can I deter him or trap his furry little a**.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer
48 REPLIES 48

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Caveman Charlie wrote:
...so it's no problem to drive out into a grove or field by the river 10 miles from my home and let them go.

Then they find their way so someone else's house, or a farmer's barn, or chicken house, or someone else's RV.

Where's "Cousin Eddy" when you need him! Oh ... as I remember now, he couldn't eat Squirrel any more, he read it was too high in chlorestoral and he gave it up. :E

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
I say live trap. Then you can move them if you want too just take them far out into the country not to a park or nothing. If you want to shoot them after you trap them it's OK by me. There are a lot of squirrels and they are not a protected spices.

I do think I would move him far away though if it were me. But, I live in the country so it's no problem to drive out into a grove or field by the river 10 miles from my home and let them go.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
pbitschura wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
OMG! Guns, shooting and mouse traps? :S

Just pick up a 'small size' live trap at any sporting store or Tractor Supply always have them in stock.

Trap him now before he starts chewing the wires in your RV which WILL be his next project. Put a goodly amount of peanut butter with sunflower seeds on it in the trap and in less than one day your problems will be over!
Set a live trap baited with corn last night. Corn gone, trap unsprung. I will try peanut butter on the trigger and get my .410 out of the closet.

Take a piece of wire and wire the ear of corn to the bottom of the trap. The squirrel (or whatever stole the corn) will not be able to reach over the trip mechanism and grab the corn, he'll have to struggle to loosen it and will trip the mechanism while doing so. You just better hope it isn't a skunk (since they ARE nocturnal)

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolmom42 wrote:
dewey02 wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
If you are in city limits of most towns, you don't want to be discharging a fire-arm of any type.

Simplest & most humane option is to live-trap him and relocate him far far away.
. Squirrels are just rats with bushy tails. I have no problem with terminating them. Relocating them simply makes them someone else's problem.

I have no problem with terminating them, either, if they are 1) a meal or 2) impossible to relocate.

One squirrel is not worth dressing for a meal, and almost everyone lives close enough to a state or city park to find a good relocation spot.

I'm more interested in live and let live, no point in killing an animal just because you can.

I guarantee that if you live in a city and relocate a squirrel to a city park, he will just end up in someone else's attic, vehicle, etc. When there is food and (warm) shelter, what makes you think a squirrel is going to stay somewhere he will be cold and hungry? As someone else said, you can save them up until you have enough to eat. Another option is to leave them outside and some other critter gets a free meal. I don't support killing an animal just because you can, if that were true, I'd be out shooting birds, the neighbor's dogs and cats, etc. I believe in killing animals that cause real destruction and problems. I was renting a house in S. Illinois and about 4 months after we moved to another house, we learned that the previous house had burned to the ground because squirrels got in the attic and chewed through the electrical wiring. These vermin should not be taken lightly.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer

RayNMesa
Explorer
Explorer

MrWizard
Squirrels...Are not nocturnal like rats and raccoons
Bait your trap early in the morning..not at night
Something else got the corn
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
pbitschura wrote:
...how can I deter him or trap his furry little a**.

Tell him you're insured with Geico and then start your automobile engine! Then yell, "I don't swerve for squirrels!"

Woodtroll
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

Spoken like someone who has never dealt with an invasion of these furry heathens. This past summer a red squirrel (usually called "boomers" or "fairydiddles" here in the southern Appalachians) decided to chew through the window screen and wreak havoc in my home kitchen. Once I chased him out, I decided to take the shotgun outside and interrogate him as to his motives and cohorts. He refused to come clean and did not survive the interview.

DO NOT let them get established around your home; they are "cute" only in the wild where they belong!
2003 F250XL 4WD 7.3L Crewcab LB, 6 speed; Prodigy brake controller; Big Tex grille guard/ deer deflector. Canoe hauler and camping truck extraordinaire!
2003 Layton 242 Scout- Extra batteries, solar panels, LED lighting, and propane for boondocking.

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

Just pick up a 'small size' live trap at any sporting store or Tractor Supply always have them in stock.

Trap him now before he starts chewing the wires in your RV which WILL be his next project. Put a goodly amount of peanut butter with sunflower seeds on it in the trap and in less than one day your problems will be over!
Set a live trap baited with corn last night. Corn gone, trap unsprung. I will try peanut butter on the trigger and get my .410 out of the closet.

MrWizard
Squirrel hunting in Indiana, sometimes you only come home with one our two
Dress them out..and freeze them..go out next weekend and get some more
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
Our co-hosts had a squirrel get up under their van this summer and it chewed wires on the transmission causing the transmission to have problems. You do not want a squirrel around. How is it getting in to hide the nuts in your upholstery? Sounds like you have some areas that need to be closed up with expanding foam or something.
He's not inside yet but he won't get all winter to try.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02 wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
If you are in city limits of most towns, you don't want to be discharging a fire-arm of any type.

Simplest & most humane option is to live-trap him and relocate him far far away.
. Squirrels are just rats with bushy tails. I have no problem with terminating them. Relocating them simply makes them someone else's problem.

I have no problem with terminating them, either, if they are 1) a meal or 2) impossible to relocate.

One squirrel is not worth dressing for a meal, and almost everyone lives close enough to a state or city park to find a good relocation spot.

I'm more interested in live and let live, no point in killing an animal just because you can.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
pbitschura wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
pbitschura wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
a pellet gun and good shot to the head fixes them every time
Too much risk of collateral damage.

notice i said a good shot
You. did. But a pellet gun ain't that accurate.

It is with a scope:B

http://www.gamousa.com/family.aspx?family=MRA Hunting Series&familyID=101