cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing 4 down in snow

TheLuvShack
Explorer
Explorer
New to dragging a toad around the country. Any tips other than "don't do it" will be appreciated.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they better find you handy". Red Green

Daryl
7 REPLIES 7

Don_s_Lock
Explorer
Explorer
Driving in snow the car goes we're the Motorhome goes!
Gone threw lots of snow going south in Jan .
Don Canada we generally get lots of snow.
Don
2016 Ford Focus
2013 Georgetown 335

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is this snow you talk about? I don't drive in no stinking snow.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I don't plan on pulling while the roads are icy or covered with snow, but for general understanding, I visited our local state highway website and learned quite a bit on how trailers are to be handled. Very informative.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most 4WD vehicles do not have both wheels locked together making it very easy to lose control with one wheel spinning in the snow... One has to learn how to use your brakes when this occurs...

Have pulled off of dry payments with one wheel still on the dry payment and the other wheel in the mud or snow. When that wheel starts spinning you are not going anywhere even in 4WD until you apply some brakes to stop the spinning wheel from turning...

There used to be a State Farm funny commercial about this years back haha Can't remember the State Farm Driving rule now...

This was most definitely a problem with my older 4WD trucks/Jeeps. Things may be different now with the newer trucks with 4WD. Climbing out of my 4WD Jeep and locking the hubs back in the day never had that problem...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

TheLuvShack
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your replies. Certainly NOT planning on towing in snow but the weather is unpredictably at times.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they better find you handy". Red Green

Daryl

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Install real snow tires on the towed vehicle. Be VERY careful with any auxiliary braking system; you do NOT want the brakes on the towed vehicle to lock up, as it may go sideways. Be cautious on curves; the towed may slide sideways due to centrifugal forces. Keep in mind that under certain conditions you may have to put chains on at least one axle of the toad, if the law requires it.
Personally, I avoid driving the motorhome on snow and ice. No way will I tow a vehicle in such conditions. When I have to tow a trailer on snow and ice, I turn the trailer brakes off. But that is just me.
Good luck.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't drive in snow!! Wait until the roads are cleared. Many states have a chain law for RVs and if you drive you must put on chains.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel