cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing a motorcycle

stoney0264
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever tried one of these behind your TT.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-2-Receiver-Trailer-Hitch-Carrier-Pull-Behind-Hauler-Tow-Towing-Ra...

Just looking for a way to take wifes bike along on extended camping trips. My bike goes in the bed of my truck but it would be hard to get hers in there as well. Her bike weighs less than 400 lbs.

All input welcome.
Steve & Tina
3 grown DD's (Don't camp with us much)
Duke (Yorkie)
Bailey (Boxer)
1999 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 6.0L and 3.73
Prodigy Brake Control
2006 Honda VTX1300s (mine)
2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Better Half)
2012 Outback 279RB
11 REPLIES 11

Robert78121
Explorer
Explorer
That just looks like a bad idea and a way to cheap out on bring a motorcycle along.
Washington DC Area (NOVA)

Camper: 2004 Damon Daybreak 3285 WorkHorse 8.1
Toad: 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - BlueOx
Toy: 2012 Ninja 650 - Versa Haul VH-SPORT-RO

Spent three years full time, so I know a little about it.

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
You could easily and more cost efficiently build your own from a harborfreight frame.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=trailer
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
For peace of mind I would go with a small trailer. The Trailer-in-a-bag is wildly popular through many motorcycle communities. I nearly bought one myself until I sold the bike to buy our first camper.

http://trailerinabag.com/trailers.html
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I already responded but this if the chain is removed (if it has one) there should be no problems. Back in the 60's my dad had a triumpn MC and he towed it all over with a simular hitch. Only thing was it was homemade. He would remove the front wheel, lift the front end and attach to an axle which was mounted to a hitch. He tied it down with eye bolts on the bumper and the front wheel was secured to the bike on one side or the other. Many mc's have been transported this way and as noted just be careful when backing up. The only reason these hitches were develeoped from what my dad had was the inconvenience of removing the wheel. If you will not be towing the TT, this would be a dine way to pull an additional bike, but the down side is the need to remove a drive chain or belt. It would be easier to get a small harbor freight trailer install a bike track and pull. Plus if the other bike is big enough you can pull the trailer with it either with the smaller bike on it or with some coolers to take a ride and go camping etc. You are basicaly limited by your imagination on how/what you want to do.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not a good idea except for maybe a lightweight dirt bike. You'd have to remove the chain since like Boogie said the transmission uses pressurized lubrication. Your owner's manual probably has a section about not coasting with the engine off. Also I would think the act of turning corners would put some strain on the front end parts, maybe not but I wouldn't want to do it to my bike.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
i have never tried one .
i have seen them in use, however .
i did not observe if the chain was removed

stoney0264
Explorer
Explorer
boogie_4wheel wrote:
Do NOT use that on your VTX (just in case you ever get that wild hair to try it). The VTX does need the engine running to lube the output bearing and seal for the driveshaft. I've got an 1800T... I'm not sure on the Ninja, but an easy way to avoid any issues would be to remove the chain.

Being a Ninja 250 and your situation, I would try it (I would prefer an actual trailer though). Just don't backup!

LOL.... I would never consider that with the VTX. Not real sure about the ninja either. Just wondering if anyone had ever tried one.
Steve & Tina
Duke (Yorkie)
Bailey (Boxer)
Prodigy Brake Control
2012 Outback 279RB

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
Do NOT use that on your VTX (just in case you ever get that wild hair to try it). The VTX does need the engine running to lube the output bearing and seal for the driveshaft. I've got an 1800T... I'm not sure on the Ninja, but an easy way to avoid any issues would be to remove the chain.

Being a Ninja 250 and your situation, I would try it (I would prefer an actual trailer though). Just don't backup!
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
most times the TT is not scaled to put anything of any weight on the rear bumper. They are just tube carriers for the sewer hook ups and not very sturdy. You would need to connect something like this to the frame members which will be heavier than current metals. Also you could run into trouble as it could be construed to be tripple tow! I think you would be better off to try and fabricfate a cross carrier to fit into the tow receiver and then have a trailer hitch added to it. Look at one of those hydralic ones that goes on an rv for an example. Another thinkf is that the TT frames are not designed for the additional load.

stoney0264
Explorer
Explorer
Fishinghat wrote:

Have you considered a bike rack type that fits into the receiver? From what I understand, they cost around $100 or so and can haul up to 400 lbs.

Yes, but I saw this and got to thinking that it would drastically reduce the weight on the bumper / hitch.
Steve & Tina
Duke (Yorkie)
Bailey (Boxer)
Prodigy Brake Control
2012 Outback 279RB

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, don't know anything about that type of towing device.

I had looked into towing my VT1100C Honda Shadow but the owner's manual said it can't be towed with the rear wheel down. I assume that is due to the drive shaft and transmission lubrication, but I don't really know the reason why.

Have you considered a bike rack type that fits into the receiver? From what I understand, they cost around $100 or so and can haul up to 400 lbs.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow