cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Odd 7 to 4 wiring problem

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
I've recently installed a brake controller on my RV as I'd planned to tow a trailer. I have confirmed it's working with a 7 pin LED tester.

Now I'm flat towing a car and I just want marker/brake lights, when I put in a 7 to 4 adapter and use a 4 pin LED tester I get left and right signals, tail lights but no brake lights even though the 7 pin tester showed the brake light working. I've tried 2 different 7 to 4 adapters.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
18 REPLIES 18

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
gijoecam wrote:
RinconVTR wrote:
gijoecam wrote:
Maybe I'm mis-reading something... But the 7-pin connector is showing a left turn, a right turn, and BOTH when the brake is applied, right? There is (or should be) no separate BRAKE signal on a standard 7-pin adapter, and if there is, somebody has it wired wrong.

Did you word that wrong accidently? 4 pin brake lights are a combination of left/right at the same time. You said that, but its a little confusing. 7 pin to 4 pin have this wired within so the brake lights work, but the brake signal is not present.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

I wouldn't say 'wrong' necessarily, but maybe 'poorly'...

I should have written, "There should be no separate BRAKE LIGHT signal in a standard 7-pin connector."

Yes, there is a BRAKE feed from the controller, but it does not power the brake lights on the trailer. What I wasn't understanding is the way the tester works. The BRAKE signal it indicates is for the feed to the trailer's brakes, not the brake lights on the trailer. Hitting the brakes on the tow vehicle should illuminate the left and right signal feeds at the 7-pin simultaneously.

Exactly!

gijoecam
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:
gijoecam wrote:
Maybe I'm mis-reading something... But the 7-pin connector is showing a left turn, a right turn, and BOTH when the brake is applied, right? There is (or should be) no separate BRAKE signal on a standard 7-pin adapter, and if there is, somebody has it wired wrong.

Did you word that wrong accidently? 4 pin brake lights are a combination of left/right at the same time. You said that, but its a little confusing. 7 pin to 4 pin have this wired within so the brake lights work, but the brake signal is not present.

I wouldn't say 'wrong' necessarily, but maybe 'poorly'...

I should have written, "There should be no separate BRAKE LIGHT signal in a standard 7-pin connector."

Yes, there is a BRAKE feed from the controller, but it does not power the brake lights on the trailer. What I wasn't understanding is the way the tester works. The BRAKE signal it indicates is for the feed to the trailer's brakes, not the brake lights on the trailer. Hitting the brakes on the tow vehicle should illuminate the left and right signal feeds at the 7-pin simultaneously.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
mcewena wrote:
I added a 3 to 2 converter up stream of the 7 pin connector and all is good.

That's great news, which also confirms Gijoe was right. The 7 pin on the TV was wired wrong.

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
I added a 3 to 2 converter up stream of the 7 pin connector and all is good.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
gijoecam wrote:

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
mcewena wrote:
TubaPete wrote:
Sounds like your tow vehicle has seperate lights for turn and brake (amber and red, maybe). A 4 pin combines turn and brake into one light on each side. You need to install a wiring adapterin your vehicle to combine the two lights on eahc side into one. You can get it at almost any big box store, e.g. Walmart, that carries automotive supplies.

You mean the 7 to 4 doesn't include that function?

Thanks.

It absolutely does.

You don't need a converter (or anything else!) when you already have a working 7 pin wired on the TV.

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
gijoecam wrote:

My 7 pin tester looks similar to the link in post 5 above, it has a separate brake signal (middle bottom row) however that's the trailer brake power signal (blue). I was assuming the blue trailer brake wire would also be used for any 7 pin trailers brake lights as well as the brakes themselves. So when the turn signal lights on the tester didn't come on but the brake signal did I didn't see that as a problem.

I see now from tailer wiring diagrams that that wouldn't be the case and the 3 to 2 adapter should be wired upstream of the RV's 7 pin trailer connecter regardless of trailer/car type being towed.

gijoecam
Explorer
Explorer

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
No, the adpater is built for standard connector wiring.
You need something like this one from Roadmaster.
Converter

Many thanks all!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
No, the adpater is built for standard connector wiring.
You need something like this one from Roadmaster.
Converter

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
TubaPete wrote:
Sounds like your tow vehicle has seperate lights for turn and brake (amber and red, maybe). A 4 pin combines turn and brake into one light on each side. You need to install a wiring adapterin your vehicle to combine the two lights on eahc side into one. You can get it at almost any big box store, e.g. Walmart, that carries automotive supplies.

You mean the 7 to 4 doesn't include that function?

Thanks.

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
TubaPete wrote:

MH brake and signal lights are separate. I have an led tester just like that and it reports things work as they should (although the back up light flashes slowly)

I have a 4 to 7 adapter like this http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-74607-Wiring-Adapter/dp/B000CPI6VI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_3 and a 4 pin tester like this http://shop.trailerlightcheck.com/Vehicle-Wiring-Tester-LCV101.htm connected to it just to rule out the marker wiring.

TubaPete
Explorer
Explorer
Tuba Pete