cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

towing a small trailer

mike54
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a small 48 x 48 trailer I'm thinking to use it behind my 5th wheel to haul a handicap scooter. I know my truck can handle it and it would weight less than 500 lbs total . opinions?
Mike
2005 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins diesel
2007 Montana 3500rl
11 REPLIES 11

kwlincoln
Explorer
Explorer
mike54 wrote:
poncho62 wrote:
I think a rack on the back of your 5th wheel would make more sense.

already tried that it ended badly

"ended badly"? Then you did it wrong! This would be significantly less troublesome than another trailer. This is your best solution. Get a better rack. Get a welder to make a custom one.

And BTW, of course you don't "intend" to back up with 2 trailers. None of us do, but you will eventually get stuck somewhere and have to. Not to mention many campsites will have to be backed into. A second trailer is the last resort.

Broccoli1
Explorer
Explorer
Slap a 4x4 decal on the scooter ๐Ÿ™‚
06 F250 V10 SB 4x4 Gulp Gulp
WW FSC2800
Rhino 660- 1980 Cobalt 18DV
CRF 50 & CRF 70
"Shoot, I'm the world's best backwards driver!"

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
Your profile shows you are from IL. If you intend to tow such a combination in IL then it would not be a legal tow in IL. The only vehicles that can be towed behind a 5th wheel is a boat, ATV, PWC, or motorcycle. Also the trailer would have to have brakes.
Here's the applicable section of the statute.
625 ILCS 5/15-107(c)
(5) Recreational vehicles consisting of 3 vehicles, provided the following:
A) The total overall dimension does not exceed 60 feet.
B) The towing vehicle is a properly registered vehicle capable of towing another vehicle using a fifth-wheel type assembly.
C) The second vehicle in the combination of vehicles is a recreational vehicle that is towed by a fifth-wheel assembly. This vehicle must be properly registered and must be equipped with brakes, regardless of weight.
D) The third vehicle must be the lightest of the 3 vehicles and be a trailer or semitrailer designed or used for transporting a boat, all-terrain vehicle, personal watercraft, or motorcycle.
E) The towed vehicles may be only for the use of the operator of the towing vehicle.
F) All vehicles must be properly equipped with operating brakes and safety equipment required by this Code, except the additional brake requirement in subdivision (C) of this subparagraph (5).
Camped in every state

mike54
Explorer
Explorer
poncho62 wrote:

already tried that it ended badly
Mike
2007 Montana 3500rl

mike54
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
Well as previously mentioned not legal in many states. Also consider you won't be able to see it and how will you back up? Maybe a custom bumper extension would work better?

don't plan on backing it up. it's small enough even with the handicap scooter on it I can unhook it and move it around.
Mike
2007 Montana 3500rl

poncho62
Explorer
Explorer

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Well as previously mentioned not legal in many states. Also consider you won't be able to see it and how will you back up? Maybe a custom bumper extension would work better?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

mike54
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Some states require the trailer to have brakes. Have you considered a deck with swivel wheel off the back of the FW? You would not be limited where you travel.

I have looked into swivel wheel trailers but right now 1800.00 is out of the budget
Mike
2007 Montana 3500rl

Bedlam
Some states require the trailer to have brakes. Most of the small trailers also have small wheels which spin incredibly fast on the highways. Unless you frequently service the hubs, they will fail. Have you considered a deck with swivel wheel off the back of the FW? You would not be limited where you travel.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

mike54
Explorer
Explorer
I thought of that but the 3 I travel in right now it is. when I go full time I will have to check the rules in other states.
Mike
2007 Montana 3500rl

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Double towing is not allowed in all states.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker