cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with a 2000 GMC Jimmy 4WD

Karfae69
Explorer
Explorer
We currently own a class C but are looking into maybe switching to a travel trailer 25-28'or so. As I understand it is rated for 5900 but have been reading about sway, tongue weight etc.. I guess what I am asking is this vehicle going to work, I am sure bigger is better and a large full size truck is best but if I have to buy another truck is this a cost I want to do or keep what I have.
5 REPLIES 5

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
you need to look at trailers 19' or smaller. anything bigger will not be a enjoyable tow and may be a dangerous tow.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
We pulled a 19ft 3800lb hybrid with our Jimmy and it did OK. You really felt the wind with it and you knew every hill. It can be done but it is less than ideal.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2000 GMC Safari van with the 4.3 V6 that we used to pull our 19' Hybrid. Never left the state of Florida (stayed in the flats) and it did OK.

I think you are asking that GMC to do to much.
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, first don't believe those GM numbers. We had a 24' TT we pulled with a 95 K1500 with the 5.7L V8 and it struggled on long grades. Yet per the manual our 2001 Chevy Blazer 4.3L V6 was rated saying it could pull our TT. Never tried it and never would knowing the effort required by the 1500 to pull it. So my opinion would be to stick with a PUP or Hybred TT of 16 to 18 foot or stay with your C.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
Karfae69 wrote:
We currently own a class C but are looking into maybe switching to a travel trailer 25-28'or so. As I understand it is rated for 5900 but have been reading about sway, tongue weight etc.. I guess what I am asking is this vehicle going to work, I am sure bigger is better and a large full size truck is best but if I have to buy another truck is this a cost I want to do or keep what I have.

The Jimmy is a small/midsize suv based upon the same platform I believe as the chevy S10 Blazer / pickup. I would be cautious about the tongue weight that you put on the hitch. You would most likely want to stay at around 300-400lbs max tongue weight which means around a 2500lb - 3000lb trailer fully loaded with water and gear. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of trailers besides small tent trailers that are going to be in that weight range so I would say no and that you need a more capable vehicle to tow the size of trailer you are looking at.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4