cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with older vehicle

Grg419
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about towing a small hatchback under 2000 lbs with an 06 roadtrek. The roadtrek/chev express is a V8 rated up to 10,000 lbs towing has under 60k mileage but is there legitimate concern about the stress to the frame?
6 REPLIES 6

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Is the frame rusted out or something? Maybe I missed part of the question?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not that it's likely to be a problem with a 10k tow rating but what hatchback do you have that is under 2000lb?

Roadtrek is basically just a full size van. Before 4 door pickups became all the rage, full size vans were the tow vehicle of choice for families.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Where are you getting the rating from? Roadtrek, or Chevy?

If Roadtrek, then whatever they've done to the frame, if anything, is adequate to tow the rated amount.

In that case 2000 <<<<<<<<<<<<<< 10000, so there is no concern. The workmanship would have to be awfully poor, or the van driven exclusively in the salt belt during the winter, for there to be any sort of concern towing a 2000lb trailer.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Only concern on frame is whether it has been extended by RV manufacturer. Look at the frame where the trailer hitch connects. Some have butt welded frame extensions that may need reenforced. Common on earlier MHs.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 87 chevy van with towing option and towed a 4500 lb trailer all over the west. sold it with 180K miles, still running strong. And that V-8 was only around 165hp or so, hills were 2nd gear wound out.
you should have no issues.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 2003 Pleasure Way, hitch rated for 10,000#. I wouldn't have hesitated in the least bit to tow a lightweight car.