cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

towing

dogsanddonks
Explorer
Explorer
I got my first fiver and use a gooseneck hitch since I need the bed clear a lot. Realized that nobody I know uses a regular 5th wheel hitch. Seems like the gooseneck is cheaper, lighter, easier to change out and I have also heard it allows less for and aft movement and does better on uneven ground. I dont have any more trouble hitcing up that with the bumper pulls, so what are the advantages to a big 'ol 5th wheel in your bed?
9 REPLIES 9

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
This is one reason. I went the B&W hitch with the Companion. I can use my trailer for tractor, goose neck, quickly change over to my Companion to tow my fiver or remove both for a flat bed to carry something in my truck bed.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
The point where all the pulling (and stopping) force is applied is at the base of the adapter which some distance below the location of the king pin where the force is normally applied. That creates a lever effect. And torque is force times the length of the lever. Basically a multiplier of force. Think of a cheater bar used with a wrench to loosen a tight bolt.
That extra torque (twisting force) is transferred to the pin box and subsequently to the frame.

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
OK I'm not an engineer so I have to ask.

Why does a goose neck hitch put more stress on the trailer than fifth wheel hitch?

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If it is a new trailer you might want to check whether it will affect warranty or not. Lots of discussions about this in the past.
But lots of people do use them apparently with no problems. I would guess something like 10-15% of 5ers I see have gooseneck adapters.
5th wheel hitch is easier to hook up. Just get within an inch and half or so and back into it and it will self align and latch. Most have front to back and side to side tilt. And there are a number of 5th wheel hitches available with no bed rails and that can be lifted out leaving the bed flat.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
DO whatever you desire..it's your trailer.

Course just because an item is available via the aftermarket doesn't mean it is needed, better or even correct to use.

But it's your trailer
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
My FW came with a hitch. Couldn't afford to not use it ๐Ÿ™‚
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Design is one a GN trailer is designed to handle the forces of the longer lever, the 5er pin box is not.

Goose neck of 10,000# GVWR two horse slant trailer.

38' TH 5th wheel triple axle with conversion.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

NoLookingBack
Explorer
Explorer
Many manufacturers will void warranty if used with a goose neck hitch. Some folks will argue with it but the frame structure needs to be able to handle the additional flexing that comes with a goose neck hitch. Generally can tow heavy trailers with a 5th wheel. Just how many 18 wheelers does one see pulling goose neck trailers. Air ride available with 5th wheel. Less for and aft motion then with 5th wheel. There are more reasons but this is a laptop with small keyboard.
Jim

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
dogsanddonks wrote:
so what are the advantages to a big 'ol 5th wheel in your bed?
Mine's air ride. Love it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman