cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trade In Value

Roadtech
Explorer
Explorer
Where is a good place to get the trade in value on a used motorhome? I checked the NADA website, but they only give "Low Retail" and "Average Retail".
30 REPLIES 30

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
After arriving at a price, without trade, on your new RV, the trade-in value of your RV trader will be wholesale. I dealer never pays more than wholesale for any RV.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
A 2000 Country Coach H345 Prevost conversion recently sold at a Mecham auction for $155,000. 14 years ago that coach stickered for nearly $1,000,000.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
rkortes wrote:
Craigslist is true market value. Find a few items close to your rig (if not exactly)then take the average price. You will get destroyed on a trade-in.

what people are asking for a RV is meaningless data as far as estimating value. what does it actually sell for?
bumpy

Agreed.... soooooo, the value of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it. If you take averages of what people are posting items on Craigslist, throw out the lows and highs you can come to a reasonable statistical value. Has worked for me for years. One can also call on items that have sold on CL and ask what it sold for. Not exactly rocket science!
Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax/Ali
Toy Hauler - 2008 Ragen FA3005
The Journey Is The Destination!

Roadtech
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
I find NADA values to be grossly over inflated on RV's. It is not a good indicator of actual selling prices being paid.

What is a good indicator? Has anyone used rvvaluesonline.com where you pay for a valuation?

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
The trade in value is usually very close to the wholesale value. Dealers buy at wholesale and sell at retail. Way back when I was chairman of a company credit union loan committee the wholesale value used to be at about 70 percent of average retail.

Some libraries have the commercial version of the NADA book which I understand has a wholesale/trade-in value listed.

Dealers play all sorts of games with the numbers but buy at wholesale or less and sell at retail or more is what they do.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Lyrikz
Explorer
Explorer
Roadtech wrote:
Where is a good place to get the trade in value on a used motorhome? I checked the NADA website, but they only give "Low Retail" and "Average Retail".

Trade in value is roughly half of what street value is.
my trailer booked at 19k, they paid 10k. lol. Worst deal of my life.
No regrets. 3 different dealers quoted me that price. Finally got someone to give me 13k.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
Well the dealer has to detail it, pay the salesman, and make a profit. I wouldn't consider it a percentage, I would consider how much all that is worth.

Based on the used RV's I have seen at dealers they don't spend a dime on them either cleaning or promoting them.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I find NADA values to be grossly over inflated on RV's. It is not a good indicator of actual selling prices being paid.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
rkortes wrote:
Craigslist is true market value. Find a few items close to your rig (if not exactly)then take the average price. You will get destroyed on a trade-in.

what people are asking for a RV is meaningless data as far as estimating value. what does it actually sell for?
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Roadtech wrote:
So what % off of average retail would a typical trade in value be?

50%
bumpy

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
By inverting the question you might ask yourself how much you feel your rig is worth, and then basically ask the dealer how much are you going to charge me to sell it for me. If you sold it yourself you might reap the full value...I don't enjoy selling things...therefore I would rely on a dealer to make the sale for me. That dealer is entitled to a profit/commission. So there it is, how much do you feel your RV is worth to the next person, knowing everything you know about the condition and use?

bigdogger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roadtech wrote:
It would depend on the value of the rig. The higher the value, the lower the percentage. Be aware that book values are generally vastly inflated over real world transactions. Unlike automobiles, where the values are gleaned from sales and auction data, RV values are determined by applying depreciation tables to original MSRPs. There are just too few RV sales to get actual values. Even with extensive research, you are not going to be able to zero in on an accurate value. You are really left relying on intuition, trust and your negotiating skills.

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax/Ali
Toy Hauler - 2008 Ragen FA3005
The Journey Is The Destination!

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
Well the dealer has to detail it, pay the salesman, and make a profit. I wouldn't consider it a percentage, I would consider how much all that is worth.

Roadtech
Explorer
Explorer