cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer has sat awhile, should I be scared about my tires?

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer tires have sat close to a year.
I have heard of people having blow outs and in my imagination, Im thinking if you let your tires sit on one spot, will they get like a hard spot? And it will wear harden.... kaboom...

someone tell me Im crazy
39 REPLIES 39

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
The rule for me is 5 years. Once I hit that number I know that the risk goes up. I keep a spare on board and switch them out after 8 years regardless of what they look like. My tires are LTs but, the spare is an ST. They are all a year old. Tires are expensive when we don't think we need to replace them. Out on the side of a busy interstate with a blown tire and your family in the TV makes them seem very affordable.

I'm going to have that ST switched out for an LT this spring.

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a one year old Kenda Load Star fail at 30 mph after only traveling for a mile at that speed. We had stopped in Wyoming at Devils Tower. The trailer sat for over two hours, so completly cooled off. Drove down the park road to the main road at 20 mph, then down the main road a mile and *BOOM*, took the side wall completely out. Not damage found to the tread, no punctures, no cuts. In fact, tried to get warranty on the tire and failed. The only thing that happened to that tire previous was rolling down the road, at the rated speed, at the rated pressure, at under the rated load. Hence the term "China bomb". We heard it up front when it blew. It does happen.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
Great info here! I have to admit I am one of those TT owners who know little about the tires. I bought it new and only checked tire pressure a few times and never had a blow out or flat. It still has the original tires and last time I was at RV dealer they were amazed I they were still in decent shape. Mine weren't weathered but the service manager showed me the sidewalls were starting to bulge. The sales manager just replaced his same year TT tires the season before so unlike those here getting 3-5 years this was 2 years ago so that was at least 9 years of use. I store mines on dirt if that makes a difference and many times there are covered with mud so wondered did that help preserve them lol.

My trailer was retired that season so hasn't been on the road since, if it does it will only be after new tires. I feel better informed after reading this thread now know I need to do some more research on tires.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Three years for ST, up to seven for LT.

I overinflate mine by 10% for storage, park trailer on pressure treat boards, and keep them covered.

Still wouldn’t change above (except that you couldn’t give me ST. It’s the rating, not the manufacturer or country of origin):

1) The risk associated with being on the side of the highway is too great.

2). The money to fix the TT after tread separation damage ($7-8k) buys a lifetime of the most expensive tires and then some.

3). Add shock absorbers if TT doesn’t have them. No reason to force the tires to do extra work, and TT road manners are improved.

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I also think today's trailers are starting to see better OEM tires. I've heard of at least one manufacturer already using the GY Endurance, and my 2012 FW came with the new style Provider STs, which are nylon wrapped for cooler running, and speed rated 81 mph. I'm still running them, and will for a few more years, if no problems.

Jerry

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
wnjj wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
"I find it hard to believe that “blowouts” on 2-3 year old tires of any type is anything but a road hazard or overloaded/under inflated tire in most cases. Remember, one small screw can turn “properly inflated” to “under inflated” as you drive. Several year old tires are another matter."

You may find it hard to believe, but it's true. I blew out two tires that were barely 2 years and less than 8,000 miles. Pressures were good and not overloaded. In fact there was about 2500 lbs. on "E" rated 235/85-16 ST tires. Just poorly constructed tires.

You missed the first part where I said road hazard. I also said “most.” While you can control the load and check pressures it’s impossible for anyone to know of everything their tires come in contact with. You may have suffered from a terrible coincidence or something like what happened to me when a new snowmobile trailer tire failed hours later because the tire shop failed to notice the rim had a leak which is what killed the first one.

Valve stems fail, road hazards and slow leaks happen but yes, sometimes tires just fail because they are defective. Replacing tires sooner and sooner won’t help those cases.
Yes indeed, I did miss that "most". But it always seems like the flat tires seem to go away after changing from ST tires to LT or "better" tires. I'm sure habits and driving practices don't change, but suddenly no more flat tires. And personally I think the tires being put on trailers now are better than the ones that were being put on trailers around 7-10 years ago.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:

....snip...

Worried? Why? I find that more and more people don't have a clue when it comes to vehicle technicalities.
It isn't the world we grew up in.

Very true. Many people not only don't know, they just don't care.

Their attitude may as well be, "I don't know whose responsibility it is to take care of my car (or trailer), but I know it ain't me".

I was walking the resort here the other day with my dog, and stopped to talk to a really nice older lady who was sitting out with her doggies. Over her shoulder I could see the tires on her travel trailer are dry and cracked. Who knows how old and how poorly maintained. She is from out of state a long distance away.

Sometimes it's a wonder some of these tires even make it as far as they do.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:
Hmmm. So you all are saying I should have replaced my flatbed trailer tires before they were 13 years old? I finally did because the 2 that sat facing south when parked developed some small sidewall cracks......

Nope, recall I said, "some folks report getting many more years out of theirs." Back to the Op's concern, he's afraid of his tires after having sat for a long while, and since tires are an oft-debated subject, I offer the following: who the really hell knows?

Seriously, there are so many variables with ST tires:
-cheap Chinese
-lack of good American-made ST
-RV mfgrs. putting barely specced cheap Chinese tires on their rigs
-use or lack of use, including poor maintenance
-road hazards, and so on.

So OP, after having read everyone's opinions, if you still feel discomfort, then replace them. If you're willing to take a chance, go for it. If you decide to go with another ST tire, consider your wheel limits and RV weight, and buy what's currently but anecdotally believed to be the best tires for your requirements. If you go with the LT believers, again buy a tire that meets your weight requirements.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
groundhogy wrote:
Dont know what LT or ST is.
Now I'm worried... :E

Worried? Why? I find that more and more people don't have a clue when it comes to vehicle technicalities.
It isn't the world we grew up in. Much of what we learned from our parents before we ever became teenagers isn't taught anymore, because the parents didn't learn it. Not from THEIR parents, and not in school "driver education" classes.
As further proof, on the "Dinghy Towing" forum, there is a thread asking if the odometer on a 2012 vehicle will accumulate miles when being towed! Obviously, the person asking the question knows very little about vehicles. It isn't his fault, one can't learn what isn't being taught. The salesman, however, should know better.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
groundhogy wrote:
Dont know what LT or ST is.
Now I'm worried... :E
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
"I find it hard to believe that “blowouts” on 2-3 year old tires of any type is anything but a road hazard or overloaded/under inflated tire in most cases. Remember, one small screw can turn “properly inflated” to “under inflated” as you drive. Several year old tires are another matter."

You may find it hard to believe, but it's true. I blew out two tires that were barely 2 years and less than 8,000 miles. Pressures were good and not overloaded. In fact there was about 2500 lbs. on "E" rated 235/85-16 ST tires. Just poorly constructed tires.

You missed the first part where I said road hazard. I also said “most.” While you can control the load and check pressures it’s impossible for anyone to know of everything their tires come in contact with. You may have suffered from a terrible coincidence or something like what happened to me when a new snowmobile trailer tire failed hours later because the tire shop failed to notice the rim had a leak which is what killed the first one.

Valve stems fail, road hazards and slow leaks happen but yes, sometimes tires just fail because they are defective. Replacing tires sooner and sooner won’t help those cases.

You seem to have missed the facts that on this and every other RV forum.

No one has "flats", they are all "blowouts".

Imported ST tires are junk despite 99% of the RV towing public never having visited a forum, never having had a blowout, and literally a couple of million put on the road yearly on new RVs. The other fact is at NHTSA the numbers of recalls and complaints do not support the forum banter either.

No one on a forum has ever picked up a nail, slapped a pothole, clipped a curb, or anything else. It's always the tire manufacturers cheap construction.

When one has two blowouts at the same time that's road hazard. It's not because the one tire going down overloaded the other. It's also not because the no good manufacturer who can't make a decent tire, can also make them so consistent their defects show up at the same time.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
OP,

Do you have a spare, a jack, and a lug wrench?
If so air them up to sidewall max and get on down the road.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
So I should replace my tires every year?
The professional tire engineers (who work for the tire manufacturers) say YES! Why would you have any doubt?