cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer wiring question and rear camera

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a 10 foot flat deck trailer for my kids dirt bikes and will tow this behind my fifth wheel . Legal here in Alberta. Have a welded receiver on fiver now.
Question is procedure to run my lights on second trailer. The trailer has a 7 pin on it and I assume I have to tie into the rear lights on my fiver. Is there an adapter or kit I can buy?

Also would like a rear camera on back of fiver to view the second trailer. Anyone running a wireless system that can give some help?

Thanks all
Rob
4 REPLIES 4

Hamops
Explorer
Explorer
walker111 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Will look into the wired cameras based on this info and the price of the wireless I had seen.

For the additinal lighting for my second trailer, it has a 7 pin connection. Would running a 4 wire cause a problem. The second trailer will be light and does not have or need brakes.

First, here is a link to the dealer who I bought my system from: Rearview Camera

Second, No is the short answer, because you are only using the right/left and brakes plus the running lights.

Cheers
Helen & George VE3INB and Max (Bichon Frise)

2006 Silverado 2500HD D/A, Isspro Gauges, Linex, Westin Nerf Bars, Fold-A-Cover

2014 Avalanche 295
Reese 16K Slider, Bedsaver, Prodigy Controller, Rearview Camera

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Will look into the wired cameras based on this info and the price of the wireless I had seen.

For the additinal lighting for my second trailer, it has a 7 pin connection. Would running a 4 wire cause a problem. The second trailer will be light and does not have or need brakes.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Even with the short run I have with my 17' trailer I had problems with wireless cameras. Settled for a wired, 2 camera system from Rear View Safety. They sell a connections system to go between the tow vehicle & the trailer.

Hamops
Explorer
Explorer
While the wireless rear-view camera systems are getting better, they still aren't as good as a wired system. A wired system works all the time, every time. For you trailer lights wiring, I suggest that you run a length of the four coloured trailer cable from the front to the back of your 5vr. Generally there is a junction box at the front of your 5vr where the umbilical cable is terminated. Connect you trailer lighting cable there to the appropriate wires. Terminate the trailer end of the cable with an appropriate connector.

Cheers
Helen & George VE3INB and Max (Bichon Frise)

2006 Silverado 2500HD D/A, Isspro Gauges, Linex, Westin Nerf Bars, Fold-A-Cover

2014 Avalanche 295
Reese 16K Slider, Bedsaver, Prodigy Controller, Rearview Camera