cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV is "tracking"

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
New truck and new trailer...truck is tracking or pulling when I am towing.
Its pretty much constant, pulling left, pulling right, constantly having to countersteer.

TV is a 2015 Nissan Frontier 6 cyl 4x4, tow cap is 6500 lbs. I am towing a 2015 Heartland TrailRunner SLE 22 with a weight of 4350 lbs.

It doesn't matter if it is empty or full of gear it still pulls...any ideas?
New to the RV world and loving every minute of it.
2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 6 cyl
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22
67 REPLIES 67

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure all your tires, truck and trailer, are aired to the max, indicated on the sidewall of the tire. It will help a little to keep them from walking.

To be honest though, you really need more truck. I pulled a 4500lb empty weight trailer with a half ton Silverado 5.3 with tow pkg and no matter what I did it still bucked up and down and swayed when in heavy traffic or any amount of wind. When a semi would pass, I would really struggle from the sway and pull. I found a deal on a 3/4 ton Silverado and all my problems were over. I see you have a nice truck, and may not be interested in anything else but you would be much safer and more relaxed with a heavier truck.

The old saying is, you can never have too much truck.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
willi4nd wrote:
Terryallan wrote:

Also. A too tight sway control bar can cause the TV to pull to one side. But usually it changes side depending on your last turn.

I asked him the last time I was up there about the swaying, he suggested I crank down the sway bar lol

Proof he knows not what he does. Get the lost weight back onto the front axle, That will return steering control, and there is a better than even chance. It will eliminate the sway as well. A well setup TT will not sway in normal driving. If you are using sway control to control the TT. You have serious problems that a sway bar can only hide for a short time.

Once you get rid of the sway. THEN add sway control. It is only to help control sway in Emergency situations
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
willi4nd wrote:
One thing I noticed is that after he jacked up the trailer he had to use a prybar to close the chain hangar bracket. Mine I can close by hand, very loose. As I lower the trailer it tightens up.

The higher up you raise your trailer tongue (attached to the truck), the easier the lift is to raise. The lower the tongue jack is, the more tension the lift has on it. You may need to use the cheater bar then.

I would simply try moving to the 5th link in the chains and see if that makes any difference. It sounds like to me, your simply leaving those chains too long and that is not putting the weight (distributed) to your front wheels enough. Try moving on down the chain a few links, see what happens. (easy start to try to fix the problem). If you get down to about the 5th link from the bars, then explore other options, like tilting the head, etc.

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
The asterisks are from the spec page, it listed other vehicles, I cropped the image.

It is what it is at this point, no trading in a two week old truck. I am going to adjust the WD bars and try to keep my load as light as possible.

I appreciate your help lawrosa, guess my first mistake was listening to my dealer.
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Those specs mean little.. What all those asterixs??

Your too heavy in the rear.. You need to distribute more to the front of truck and to trailer..

Your front end is floating thats why you are wandering...

You have a weak spring pack on the truck like I do.. But my TW is light for my trailer.. wet I am 4400.. And thats heavy .. TW 380 with WD and 420 without....
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
Your front end is too light...you need to set the wd up better to restore the front to original height

It all makes sense now, trailer is winterized and in its place until Spring. First thing I'll do is measure and adjust.

Thanks to everyone for their help
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
Truck towing specs

2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Your front end is too light...you need to set the wd up better to restore the front to original height
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I noticed is that after he jacked up the trailer he had to use a prybar to close the chain hangar bracket. Mine I can close by hand, very loose. As I lower the trailer it tightens up.
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Larger pic of setup, assuming you can see the image.

I see it..
Mike L ... N.J.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
There are 11 links total, I am on the third link from the end per my dealer

They are parallel after I engage

You need to add washers most likely and tilt the head back.

This will put the bars at a steeper angle unhooked. This allows you to get on more links and take more weight off.

You can add up to 8 washers.

You need to measure wheel wells with truck empty. Then with wd hooked up you want to get the front wheel well measurement as close to original without going over..

Watch vid here.. This may help..

The dealers dont car and did not help you any...

https://images.etrailer.com/static/images/video/install-pro-series-weight-distribution-system-2004-f...
Mike L ... N.J.

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
Larger pic of setup, assuming you can see the image.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Dry weight of 4334, gross weight 6900 and tongue weight of 530.
Trailrunner specs
You need to load up the rig, then adjust the WD bars. Your rig should level(close) after WD is adjusted.

So basically I am close or even over my tow cap, need to adjust WD another link or two.

Will look into a Trans cooler. It has one but its small.
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:

Also. A too tight sway control bar can cause the TV to pull to one side. But usually it changes side depending on your last turn.

I asked him the last time I was up there about the swaying, he suggested I crank down the sway bar lol
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Dry weight of 4334, gross weight 6900 and tongue weight of 530.
Trailrunner specs
You need to load up the rig, then adjust the WD bars. Your rig should level(close) after WD is adjusted.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker