cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Type of Hitch to Purchase

Parhole1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a TV- 2014 Dodge Citadel, 5.7 hemi. 3.09:1, GVWR 7100 lbs.; TT-2014 Sport Trek, 250VRK, UVW 5270 lbs., Hitch Weight 500 lbs., Carrying capacity 1230 lbs., GVWR 6500 lbs. -- I have 4, 300 to 400 mile trips under my belt. TV has plenty of power and control with a 10K generic WDH & friction sway control. Problem is we feel some movement(sway) with 18 wheelers and Diesel Pushers passing. This is uncomfortable and somewhat daunting. I am looking at the Equalizer 10K 4 point sway control hitch. This hitch seems to be able to handle the movement and is reasonably priced $600.00. OR I am looking at the Hensley Club (smaller version of the Arrow). 6000 lb. rating, tongue rating 600lb. I am not sure because of the ratings of this Club that I am at the limit of my ratings and will it be OK. The Arrow is a few hundred more but rated at 14K....Seems an overkill. Either Hensley's is a sacrifice of one camping outing with it's price tag and my inability to set up and install.
So the problem arises as in life what decision to make. If the Equalizer will not provide a comfortable ride then it must be Hensley and if Hensley do I get the Club or Arrow? I am requesting some experienced RVer's with either hitches and my ratings to offer their best opinions.
Wife - Donna
2015 RAM Crew 1500, 3.0 Eco Diesel, 3.55 Gear w/ Tow Package GVWR 7840 lbs..
2014 Sport Trek By Venture ST250VRK, GVWR 6500 lbs.
15 REPLIES 15

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new tv!!!

Chances are you were very close to if not over the Citadel's receiver hitch rating, so upgrading to the new Ram was definitely a good move.

Even with the new truck, as mentioned you should run the tires (at least the rears) at the max sidewall pressure.

Enjoy the new rig!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

Parhole1
Explorer
Explorer
Just an update..Sold the Dodge Durango Citidal and purchased a Ram 1500 Extended Larami Crew Cab, 3.0 Eco Diesel with tow package and outfitted with an Equalizer hitch. Best investment, problem gone! I get 22 mpg in city and 28-30 mpg on highway. Towing my Sport Trek 250VRK by Ventura (division of KZ) I am getting 14 mpg and loving the ride at between 60 - 65 mph. Thanks for your comments.
Wife - Donna

JD_and_Beastlet
Explorer
Explorer
Parhole1 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the posts... I did not have the loaded RV weighed. I believe we are at about 800 lbs. loaded well under the 1230 load weight capability. According to Sport Trek, I am not overloading it. When hooked to TV (Durango) and I take measurements of TV at wheel wells, the dimensions front to back are within 1/2". Tires have proper air 36PSI, wheel track is 64 inches, wheelbase is 120". As for overload od TV, just my wife and I, total under 300 lbs.
I am coming to believe the TV is too small for this size TT in Wheelbase and Track dimensions but not Horsepower. I think the sway with 18 wheelers and diesel pushers passing can be reduced by the Equalizer 4 point sway control hitch...but not sure. This is not my first TT but it has been over 30 years ago with a different TV (Chevy Impala 400 and 25 foot TT) and I don't recall the sway.
Maybe I should get a 1500 truck and the Equalizer Hitch. Any Thoughts?

When we were still camping in a pop up we upgraded our two vehicle from a minivan to a Toyota Sequoia. "Here comes the 30 footr", our camping friends said. Sure enough a few months later... and with an Equal-I-Zer hitch.

Being passed by anything large on the highway was white-knuckle exercise in trailer sway. We quickly came to the conclusion that the relatively short wheelbase of our tow vehicle justified the purchase of a ProPride 3P, and we've been using ours happily since May of 2009. We cruise around 100 km/h on the large highways (62 mph) and we're constantly being passed. No more sway.

Food for thought if you keep the Durango.
2008 Starcraft ST 2700BH behind 2013 Ford F-150 SuperCrew EcoBoost FX4.
Linked by ProPride 3P 1400.
restcure.ca

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
I feel the need to point out that what you feel from passing traffic is NOT, I repeat *NOT*, sway.

Sway is the trailer swinging side-to-side behind the tow vehicle, with the motion getting worse with each oscillation, until the trailer yanks you off the road or into oncoming traffic.

The only way sway control devices are going to do anything to affect the aerodynamic push-pull you feel from passing traffic is, if you put so many of them on there that your rig ends up weighing 80,000lbs.

Exactly! Not sure what one of the many things that changed since the late 1960's but the whipsawing of a passenger car when being passed by a truck while having crosswinds or going under overpasses has nearly vanished. With the exception of pulling a TT and being passed and getting the bow wave pressure.
edit 8/8
Has anyone viewing this used an Andersen WD hitch? If so chime in, I am seriously considering a purchase since the word is the ride is really smoother.
I calibrate the first one to estimate the amount of shoulder stripe to eat in future passes.
BUT, there is no sway, only push or pull and it is uniform from bumper to hitch to bumper. (Provided you have WD and sway)

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I feel the need to point out that what you feel from passing traffic is NOT, I repeat *NOT*, sway.

Sway is the trailer swinging side-to-side behind the tow vehicle, with the motion getting worse with each oscillation, until the trailer yanks you off the road or into oncoming traffic.

The only way sway control devices are going to do anything to affect the aerodynamic push-pull you feel from passing traffic is, if you put so many of them on there that your rig ends up weighing 80,000lbs.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
What is the max tire pressure on the sidewall? For driving empty definitely follow the door panel sticker. For heavy hauling try pumping up the rear tires to their maximum. Converting to an LT tire would definitely help. Maybe separate RV rims for the Dodge with LT tires. This would be a cheaper option than a new vehicle.

Looks like the Citadel came with 20's? Will the lower model 18's fit? Some dealers have "take offs". These are new factory tires and rims that are set aside for aftermarket upgrades for the showroom floor. These are typically well priced. Will the 1/2ton Dodge Truck rims fit the Durango? If so, take offs have around 35 total miles. They are usually priced really well. The truck is more likely to have LT tires versus the Durango P rated. 18's would have the benefit of more sidewall.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on upping your tire pressure. You typically have passenger tires, not truck tires, on those SUVs and they have much more squirm (especially when under a heavy load).
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Spend $14 at a CAT scale before $500 on a hitch or $40k+ on a new vehicle! Find out exactly where you stand with respect to all your vehicle ratings. 3 passes with 3 weights per pass. TV alone, TV with trailer on ball, TV with trailer with WDH. Front axle, rear axle, TT axle(s). Then you'll know how well your WDH is adjusted and what exactly needs to be upgraded if anything.

I think you'll notice some improved stability with closer to 45psi than 36psi. Check your tire's ratings for max pressure.

If you want to swing the $40k stick, I think you'll find a half ton Ram in the same boat.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Parhole1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the posts... I did not have the loaded RV weighed. I believe we are at about 800 lbs. loaded well under the 1230 load weight capability. According to Sport Trek, I am not overloading it. When hooked to TV (Durango) and I take measurements of TV at wheel wells, the dimensions front to back are within 1/2". Tires have proper air 36PSI, wheel track is 64 inches, wheelbase is 120". As for overload od TV, just my wife and I, total under 300 lbs.
I am coming to believe the TV is too small for this size TT in Wheelbase and Track dimensions but not Horsepower. I think the sway with 18 wheelers and diesel pushers passing can be reduced by the Equalizer 4 point sway control hitch...but not sure. This is not my first TT but it has been over 30 years ago with a different TV (Chevy Impala 400 and 25 foot TT) and I don't recall the sway.
Maybe I should get a 1500 truck and the Equalizer Hitch. Any Thoughts?
Wife - Donna

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
What kind of Dodge do you have? a Citadel is a trim designation. I`m guessing its a Durango!?

I think you need to get some weights. I`ll bet your tongue is light and/or your WD hitch isn`t setup properly. before you spend any money, get some numbers so you know what you are working with! a lot of people here spend a lot of money to buy the Hensley and say its the best move they made, when in reality from reading their issues it was a setup problem. so now they have an expensive bandaid to tow an improperly setup trailer.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JD_and_Beastlet
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice above.

If you do decide on a sway elimination hitch, don't discount the ProPride 3P. Here's our ProPride page (you'll find a link to the company there):

http://www.restcure.ca/propride3p.html
2008 Starcraft ST 2700BH behind 2013 Ford F-150 SuperCrew EcoBoost FX4.
Linked by ProPride 3P 1400.
restcure.ca

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Primary causes to what you are feeling are:

1. Bow wave - A lttle push pull is normal. The hitch won't get rid of 100 percent. A lot of this is not normal.

2. Hitch not adjusted propperly, or underrated - If the hitch is not restoring enough weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle, you could have subconscious hand movement, which causes the truck / trailer combo to wiggle. Your 1000 lb hitch suggests, being under rated is not your situation. Scale weights will tell you about any adjustments needed.

3. Unbalanced loading, or, too light on trailer tongue weight - Scale weights?

4. Towing trailer with nose up attitude - Check hitch ball height.

5. Overloading tow vehicle - Check your payload. Subtract weight of all passengers, cargo, WD hitch, and actual trailer tongue weight, from available payload. If you're in the hole, a new hitch won't fix that. Passenger "P" rated tires have softer sidewalls than truck tires. It's possible, you're feeling sidewall flexing. You could spend a couple grand on a hensley and still have that problem.

Before you throw a bunch of money at a new hitch, check your actual weights, payload (everything and everybody's weight in or on the vehicle, count against this), tow rating, tire pressures, and hitch settings. Could be something simple as lowering the hitch ball, pumping up the tires, moving up one link in the chain tension, or re-arranging some weight in your loading. Then decide on if, or how much you want to spend on a hitch that may or may not improved your ride.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you get, get something "hefty" now with this purchase. That way, "when" you change campers and tow vehicles (an you will!) ... you've already made the investment and won't have to re-do it to go heftier if you go minimum now. Just my advise!

I do think most push-in-out sensations coming from passing semi trucks is because the tow vehicle is too small. Same trailer, same weight distribution, but a world of difference when towing my 18 foot Dutchmen Sport with my 1500 Chevy Suburban, and then we changed to a 3500 duly (gas) Chevy. Never had that push-pull-again ... there again, same trailer, same weight distribution hitch. Just my own experience speaking here. Your's may be different.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you dont have your WD hitch set correctly...

What psi do your tires state? I run mine max 50 psi and that little push sway minimized...

Ill check your specs on the truck but if your WD not set right your front end may be floating..

Whats make model of your WD?

Have you been to the scales?
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh