cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Update on stolen battery

ata3001
Explorer
Explorer
Recap: Last week some #*!"^!# decided he needed my camper battery more than I did & stole it along with the battery box. They also cut the battery cables as well as my power tongue cable. Spent Sat morning getting a new battery & box as well as a few other items needed to replace it. Due to rain Sat afternoon, I didn't do anymore with it. Sun morning I started working on splicing in additional cable & connectors. The old box was held in place with 4' lg HD zip ties. The new box will be bolted down.

Sat night I did some looking on the internet for some type of locking device. Found what looked like a nice locking device by B&D RV. Ordered it Sat night. It was shipped from Salt Lake City, UT to Niagara Falls, NY & was delivered to my door Monday. I just finished test fitting it & this thing is GREAT. Perfect fit.

When replacing my Group 24 battery, I upgraded it to a Group 29 battery (Interstate Battery). The battery box is longer but the distance around it, top to bottom didn't change.

Yes there are better devices out there, but Im just a poor working slob that just can't afford to spend $300 for this. We currently have lots of medical bills that need to be dealt with first. Just trying to get by.......
Ron & BJ
2008 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit FS180 w/full factory dark tinted glass. (9 .yrs w/o any issues)
2014 Chevy Silverado LT Dbl cab, 5.3 L, 4 WD, tow pkg, max payload pkg, Prodigy
10 REPLIES 10

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
they don't care if it's new or old, it's worth $5 at the metal recycler shop.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you do a good job securing that new battery because the thiefs know that they stole your old battery and figure that you will buy a new battery so maybe worth a trip back to steal the new battery. Yu think???
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

Heish
Explorer
Explorer
Coleman, I think this is more about posturing than actual violence. Commiserating with the victims. I think when you have been a victim of theft it will affect you differently than when you've never had that experience.

docnascar
Explorer
Explorer
I feel your pain. Good luck.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26708285/gotomsg/26806933.cfm#26806933
Tow Vehicle
2017 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
6.0L gas. Double Cab

Travel Trailer
2020 Grand Design 2400BH

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
hammer21661 wrote:
... Wish they had an open season on crack/ meth heads.

They dont?

Ooops.

Is catch, beat and release legal?

(quietly slinks away)
One beautiful wife -Trooper and Doc the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 Flatbed with 2013 Chalet TS116 http://www.brittanynews.us

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
The harder it is for them to steal the more they tear up when they do steal it. Makes one want to hurt somebody. Wish they had an open season on crack/ meth heads.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

Bearhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Good score for 30 bucks and free shipping. At 50 bucks shipping to the great white north I think will be fabricating something myself. That and I have three batteries to lock down.

Hope you have some better luck coming your way - sounds like you are due.
Bearhawk (n): A Plansbuilt Amature Aircraft. An expensive hobby that was replaced by 2007 29FBS Jayco Jayflight G2 & 2008 F350 Crew with 6.4L Diesel
At least this adventure flew off the drawing board and running out of fuel is not as dangerous! :B

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
Makes you want to choke someone when they steal what you pay for. I only hope that if anyone tries that with my RV at the house, he will get to stare down the barrel of my Governor... Sorry for you loss bro.
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Good to read you have things back on track there Ron!

Bastard thieves could care less how much their selfish actions might cost the victim.

Chin up good sir!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Atta boy!
I can speak from experience with theft, you just gotta' get right back in the saddle.
If you can, please, post a picture up of your new box and the lock. It sounds like what you are putting in now is a lot better than what you had.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton