cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Used Cool Tech wiring

OpenRoady
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if this is a good deal or not. Its a cool tech wiring harness for a jeep on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cool-Tech-Jeep-Wrangler-RV-wiring-harness-2007-to-2015-/281682270499
6 REPLIES 6

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new one sitting in a box out in the garage. While it is plug in play, it has no diodes, and I am not a fan of back feeding a CAANBus electrical system, hence the recommendation on their website that you disconnect the battery.
I paid a few bucks more and went with the MOPAR Factory Harness. Mine is still under warranty and the dealer here looks for ways to deny warranty coverage, and I don't want to give them a reason. While CoolTech will tell you about the Magnum Moss Warranty Act, they won't pay for the Attorney to battle the manufacturer.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
eBay is how I bought mine five years and two Jeeps ago. Pulled it out of Jeep 1 and put it in Jeep 2. If you have the factory towing package, pay attention to the instructions about the yellow wire. We had the dealer installed towing package which complicated the Cooltech install. Took them two tries to get it right. Don't expect Cooltech support to help you. Think I paid about $100 for mine on eBay. Just make sure it wasn't a hack install or removal.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Cool Tech makes a nice plug in solution. I believe you can get plug in systems from Hopkins as well.
On my latest towed I did my own with diodes from Radio Shack. Saved money but invested more time. If I cut a vehicle wire it goes back together with solder and heat shrink, but that's just me.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP - It might be a good deal depending...

It would be a good deal if you are installing a supplemental brake system to activate the Jeeps brakes while towing and you need more than 4 leads connecting your towing vehicle to your Jeep.

My towing supplemental brake system (US Gear Unified Tow Brake) requires 6 leads from the Jeep to the towing vehicle. I use a 7 pin (truck and RV standard connection) to 6 pin cable that supplies the 4 leads for lights and signals, a 12 V charge lead to keep the Jeep's battery charged while towing, and an alarm lead to the towing vehicle that activates every time the Jeep's brakes are operated.

My brake system design isolates the Jeeps brake light switch so there is no lamp over-ride issue. Cooltechs deluxe kit might be a good choice for the inertia type ReadyBrake.
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

OpenRoady
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
I am not familiar with their harnesses or what comes with them but running wire from the front to rear on my 08 Jk was easy. Does it come with wiring diagrams? If you can use a wire connection

tool you can do it yourself. I shy away from wiring that has been tampered with but that's just me.

Instructions are on the Cool Tech website. Its a plug and play system so you just plug it into the jeep existing lights.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally I ran wiring to the rear of my 08 JK in about an hour, very easy. I see no value in that harness. Connecting diodes is simply crimping wires together and there is plenty of information on here to help you.