cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WA Ferry problem - Coupeville

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Just saw a report on the Seattle Times web-site that one of the boats on the Coupeville - Port Townsend route ran aground and suffered hull damage approaching the Coupeville dock. It's being repaired at Coupeville and the dock is occupied, making it impossible for another ferry to dock.

The route is closed down and I haven't seen any notification how long it may remain closed.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)
13 REPLIES 13

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
It is a tricky channel to negotiate. It's dredged and quite narrow. The un-dredged seabed close by is quite shallow.

We've used that run quite a lot, often as walk-ons for a shopping trip to PT. The skippers are usually very careful on approach to Keystone. If the rudder quits working, there's not a lot the captain can do! If that's what happened on an almost new ship, you have to wonder about the quality of construction.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
We had driven from Anacortes to Keystone (not even close to Coupeville) on Wednesday morning on our way to the Olympic Peninsula. We had reservations for the 8:45a ferry, but were notified about at least a 2 ferry delay as were were driving through Camp Casey. We got in line 8 cars from check-in and was told that the run was now delayed indefinitely. They said the the rudder system had failed, the boat hit ground and needed the Coast Guard to arrive and evaluate the situation, and it could take many hours. We had friends waiting for the ill-fated run before us and saw the ferry hit ground at least twice before arriving at the dock. They chose to take the Clinton-Mukilteo, and then the Edmonds-Kingstone route taking even more time and $$$ than us.

We then pulled out of line and took the Edmonds-Kingston ferry ($20 more and 3 extra hours of driving). We talked with some staff at the Edmonds terminal and they referred to the Port Townsend-Keystone staff as buffoons. I can't speak to that allegation, but it does seem that there are lots of issues on that run. Our run home today went well and we were positioned at the front of the boat for a great view.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
When we decided to move from Everett after I retired from Boeing, we considered both Camano and Whidbey Islands. In the end, we decided on Anacortes. It has Cascade Natural Gas distribution and city water, which were not present everywhere in the two islands.

Also it was a definite "city", with locally controlled schools, a good quality hospital and other municipal services. We're very happy with our decision.

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
When we decided to move from Everett after I retired from Boeing. we considered both Camano and Whidbey Islands. In the end, we decided on Anacortes. It has Cascade Natural Gas distribution and city water, which were not present everywhere in the two islands.

Also it was a definite "city", with locally controlled schools, a good quality hospital and other municipal services. We're very happy with our decision.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
bikendan wrote:
this kind of stuff, along with ferry fees, is why we chose Camano Island to live.
has a land bridge, so no ferry fees or issues.

but i do love Whidbey.

And how is the traffic Monday morning off the island and back on Friday afternoon? We do like the pizza at Jim's in Stanwood.

Chris

At least there are back roads to Jimmy's so we don't have to fight the Camano Island people. 😉
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
bikendan wrote:
this kind of stuff, along with ferry fees, is why we chose Camano Island to live.

but i do love Whidbey.

OH so you are one of those that clog up the Stanwood traffic! :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
bikendan wrote:

but i do love Whidbey.

And how is the traffic Monday morning off the island and back on Friday afternoon? We do like the pizza at Jim's in Stanwood.

Chris

Well, I'm retired so I don't have to deal with it. :B
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
bikendan wrote:

but i do love Whidbey.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer

but i do love Whidbey.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is worst than that. If you walk the way the state directs you from the Keystone Ferry landing it is 8.7 miles to coupeville. If one has local knowledge to go through Fort Casey it is 4 miles to Coupeville. Oh yeah, and the state sends you .8 miles past the Ferry terminal to turn you around and get you in line, so coming from the North in a car it is 6.3 miles longer to follow the state's preferred route, as their signs to the ferry are at State route 20 and W Wanamaker Rd.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody else see the irony of renaming it the "coupeville" ferry, if you walked on in PT thinking you'd end up in Coupeville, you'd have quite a walk from Keystone.....
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Odd that it wasn't on the news :?

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE:

I cross-checked the Ferry system website and there was no mention of this problem. when I took another look at the T website, I noticed the story was dated 08 July.