cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WDH effects on TV rear axle?

bigtime_077
Explorer
Explorer
I was just getting done reading the 18 page thread on WDH and what they do. I was going to post there but realized that was from 2004.

Anyway a question I have is my travel trailer has a tongue weight of 900# with all installed options including propane bottles and batteries. I have 1200# bars on my hitch. My question is with no WDH the weight on the TV rear axle would be increased by 900#. So with the WDH installed would that likely be somewhere less than 900# of weight on rear axle being some is distibuted to the TV front axle and the trailer axles?

Just trying to understand this. I know tongue weight isn't reduced but the weight on the rear axle should be reduced because a portion would go to front axle and trailer axles.
16 REPLIES 16

bigtime_077
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply I just talked to the RV mechanic who installed it and he said the same that the weight of the tongue is being distibuted among the TV rear and front axles as well as trailer axles. I was just curious on how much weight the rear axle would really "see" if you put it on a scale.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Because the tongue is behind the axle you could have much more than 900 # on the rear axle. The torsion bars redistribute some of that weight to the front axle. If you hook the chains high enough it is possible to lift the rear axle enough to slide a paper under it. This would depend on how heavy the rear was to begin with and how heavy the torsion bars are rated. The first time I saw it done I was amazed.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work