cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight distribution hitch BARELY won't fit into receiver

waterman7474
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small-ish 18ft travel trailer that I have a distribution hitch for. I normally tow it with my tundra but we wanted to tow it the other weekend with our '12 4runner (factory receiver).

The problem is the hitch is just barely too big to fit into the receiver. The receiver will fit a normal 2in hitch just fine, this thing makes it about half way in and stops, almost like it is tapered toward the back.

Since it is a little loose in the Tundra receiver, I thought it was paint or powder coat and scraped some out, but still a no go. Called a trailer place and he was stumped. Suggested a hit it with a grinder and take a little off and see if that worked, couldn't get much off as it is very hard material but still no dice.

Is there something I am missing here?
12 REPLIES 12

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
The above posters are correct in that the receiver on the V6s is only bolted to the cross member and is not rated for use with a WD hitch. You can use one but you risk twisting the cross member which is not repairable. Curt makes a nice frame mount one that would work, I can remember the model number though. You could get the Lexus one but it is very pricey.

As for the hitch not fitting in all the way, are you sure it's not hitting the spare tire? The receiver is open at the end but it is very short and the spare almost butts up to it. My WD hitch would hit the spare until I cut about 2" of the shank.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

7and7
Explorer
Explorer
I had a blue ox shank that was a casting or looked to be it had very square edges. The receiver had rounded inside corners. I had to grind the sharp edges off to get full "insertion" but what a good fit. Sorry!

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2012 4Runner and the tow package hitch is not a weight distribution hitch. If you want a WD hitch then I learned that hitches made for Lexus autos will fit the 4Runner.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
The "insertion" idea sounds kinky! (I may get deleted!... I'll take my chances!)

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
waterman7474 wrote:
the receiver is not welded to the cross member, it is bolted and that might be an issue with then with the rotational forces?
It's not the manner of attachment that matters so much; properly torqued bolts are as good as welds. Sometimes better.

The problem is the 6cyl OEM receiver's design, and especially where it's attached. In your case, just to the rear crossbeam. That component can't stand the rotational stresses of W/D. The hitch that went on the 8-cyls was attached to the frame rails of the vehicle- much better suited to the purposes of W/D.

Here's a link to a 4Runner forum thread that explains it better than I can- sounds like the O.P. there has exactly the same receiver you do, and is therefore limited to using only a weight bearing, standard ballmount.

And do be sure to point these differences out to the hitch experts you're going to talk to- if they just look at the receiver opening without crawling under the rig to take a look, they might be deceived about what that receiver is capable of.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
waterman7474 wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
You might have dodged a bullet here- the only 4Runners that had frame-mounted receivers rated for use for W/D were the V8's. Since they didn't put those out in 2012, I'm assuming you have the V6- factory hitch on that model is NOT for W/D. It should say so right on the receiver, and probably also in your owner's manual. Reason is method of mounting- the OEM's on the V6's are attached to the rear cross member only, whereas the W/D receiver on the V8 models mounted directly to the frame rails. This in order to deal with the rotational stress torque imposed by W/d systems.

That said:

It does seem unlikely that a (2"?) hitch bar itself wouldn't slide into the receiver for that reason unless Toyota actually built in some feature to prevent their use. If W/D's shank is longer, for example, than a standard weight-bearing ballmount, the smallest of curvatures in the receiver tube would do just what you describe- prevent full insertion.

Ooooh,
I didn't realize that some were "rated" for WD hitches. That would make some sense. But, like you said, it still should fit. The other regular hitch is the same length and goes all the way in. And now that you mention it, the receiver is not welded to the cross member, it is bolted and that might be an issue with then with the rotational forces?

It is like the WD hitch is a 8th or 16th inch bigger all the way around (i don't have a caliper and the ends are too rounded to measure accurately otherwise).

I am going to try and take it to a trailer specific shop and ask some experts.

Very likely your receiver is not rated for WD, which could cause a big problem if you try to use WD on it as the purpose of the WD hitch is to transfer weight to the front wheels. They might have made the receiver slightly smaller for that reason, I don't know. You could also find out quickly on one of the Brand specific forums for your 4 Runner. Check your owner's manual too as the answer is likely there regarding WD hitches and what you can and can't do.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I had to knock down the corners of my Anderson hitch to make it go all the way into my receiver. Size was fine, but Anderson had smaller radii that my receiver. Went part way and got stuck. Had to find a 10# sledge to get it back out!
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think FK might be on to something here.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
you might have a burr inside the sleeve of the hitch that is stopping the shaft to go in all the way. use a light and see if this is the case.

waterman7474
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
You might have dodged a bullet here- the only 4Runners that had frame-mounted receivers rated for use for W/D were the V8's. Since they didn't put those out in 2012, I'm assuming you have the V6- factory hitch on that model is NOT for W/D. It should say so right on the receiver, and probably also in your owner's manual. Reason is method of mounting- the OEM's on the V6's are attached to the rear cross member only, whereas the W/D receiver on the V8 models mounted directly to the frame rails. This in order to deal with the rotational stress torque imposed by W/d systems.

That said:

It does seem unlikely that a (2"?) hitch bar itself wouldn't slide into the receiver for that reason unless Toyota actually built in some feature to prevent their use. If W/D's shank is longer, for example, than a standard weight-bearing ballmount, the smallest of curvatures in the receiver tube would do just what you describe- prevent full insertion.

Ooooh,
I didn't realize that some were "rated" for WD hitches. That would make some sense. But, like you said, it still should fit. The other regular hitch is the same length and goes all the way in. And now that you mention it, the receiver is not welded to the cross member, it is bolted and that might be an issue with then with the rotational forces?

It is like the WD hitch is a 8th or 16th inch bigger all the way around (i don't have a caliper and the ends are too rounded to measure accurately otherwise).

I am going to try and take it to a trailer specific shop and ask some experts.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Have you thought about running to the nearest Toyota dealer and checking a different 4 Runner?

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer

That said:

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien