cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight Distribution Hitch

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have always used a WDH mainly because I was towing heavy Toy Haulers. I let the last WDH go with the trailer. My new trailer is much smaller and lighter a 2016 Keystone Premier 19fbpr. When I set the trailer up, I skipped the WDH and went with sway control only. My F250 handles the TW fine. The 19fbpr is short but can gross out at 6500 lbs. 15% of that could equal a TW of 950#.. So, the question is, do I need to buy another WDH for my Itty Bitty Trailer?
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
12 REPLIES 12

KeithR
Explorer
Explorer
Unless I'm towing a very small trailer, I'm going to use a WD hitch. Without one your truck will squat some and weight is removed from the front (control) tires. Never know when you are past the safe spot until it is too late. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Test,test, is this thing on?

2016 Ram 3500 CC w/duallys, 6.7l Cummins 4x4
2015 Flagstaff 27RLWR

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
1L243 wrote:
1L243 wrote:
IDoMyOwnStunts wrote:
Are you also going to load your bike into the bed with this new trailer? That might make a difference. Otherwise, I would weigh it and see how much it takes off your front axles before you decide.

That would be yes. The motorcycle, motorcycle lift and plywood storage could add as much as 1300 lbs to the cargo of the truck..

When I had my Toy Hauler it weighed in at 12k as towed and grossed at 13.8k TW with WD was 1350 lbs so I upgraded my OEM hitch to a 16k Gross 1600 WD TW...

I have weighed this trailer. It is about 5600 as towed with 850# TW. This trailer gross is 6500#. At this time, I run one anti sway bar with no WDH

I have only towned the trailer on one short 200 mile trip since I bought it. It towed fine but did not have the motorcycle in the back on that trip...

I know the feeling about heavy tongue weight toy haulers. I had to do the exact same upgrade to my receiver (1600/16K). The bonus to that was I could then run my horse trailer without WD afterward. My max without WD is 800 though, so your trailer would be right on the edge for me. If I were in your shoes, I'd go ahead and get a low cost WD hitch just to restore some back to your front wheels when you are hauling the bike in the bed because you are adding some weight behind your rear axle. When you aren't hauling the bike, it's a coin flip since you have a pretty heavy front end already, as long as your receiver can carry it.
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Don't go by how much you think your hitch may theoretically weigh. Get it weighed. Then use that number to decide.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
1L243 wrote:
IDoMyOwnStunts wrote:
Are you also going to load your bike into the bed with this new trailer? That might make a difference. Otherwise, I would weigh it and see how much it takes off your front axles before you decide.

That would be yes. The motorcycle, motorcycle lift and plywood storage could add as much as 1300 lbs to the cargo of the truck..

When I had my Toy Hauler it weighed in at 12k as towed and grossed at 13.8k TW with WD was 1350 lbs so I upgraded my OEM hitch to a 16k Gross 1600 WD TW...

I have weighed this trailer. It is about 5600 as towed with 850# TW. This trailer gross is 6500#. At this time, I run one anti sway bar with no WDH

I have only towned the trailer on one short 200 mile trip since I bought it. It towed fine but did not have the motorcycle in the back on that trip...
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
IDoMyOwnStunts wrote:

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
drittal wrote:
Your reciever has 2 ratings. One for weight carrying and one for weight distrubuting.

You beat me to it. You may find that your receiver is only rated for 650 pounds without a WDH.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

drittal
Explorer
Explorer
Your reciever has 2 ratings. One for weight carrying and one for weight distrubuting.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you have ANY doubts, get the WD. Better safe than sorry.

Only you can decide. I've used WD on every trailer tow vehicle I've owned (large and small), except for my original pop-up and my 2 different utility trailers.

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

ugh
Explorer
Explorer
No. I have 26 ft and I feel no difference with or without WDH for my setup. The only thing I use all the time is the sway controller.
---------------------------------
2001 F250 5.4 3.73
2015 Wildwood X-Lite 262BHXL

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 because WD lets you return weight to the front axle which in turn results in better steering which in turn resists the tendency to sway. That said, you're not going to have "much" tendency to sway with that trailer. I ran WD with my 6500 lb 27' trailer behind an F-350 CCSB.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
I would.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin