cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What kind of Florida snake was this

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
Caught this snake trying to eat some eggs from the guineas in the yard.Turned it into a 4 course dinner for the Eagle we have flying around. Pic has the 2 middle pieces in in the wrong spot.
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider
43 REPLIES 43

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
It may have been a "friendly" snake,but it was trying to crack the eggs in the guineas nest. Watched it for a few minutes and as I got closer to it,it decide to raise it's head at me,so off it went. The one Eagle and 3 hawks had a nice dinner,so it went to good use.
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

BeerCan
Explorer
Explorer
Pine snake. I see a lot of snakes, in FL, because I am in the woods a lot. Don't see pine snakes to often, mostly black snakes, red rat (corn) snakes and diamondbacks. Never worried about them enough to kill them, but I do give the diamondbacks a wide berth ๐Ÿ™‚

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
The photo leaves a lot to be desired. The color is washed out. But, my guess based on the markings would be an Eastern Corn snake, aka Chicken snake or Red Rat snake. Back in the 50s you'd commonly see them around the corn crib on the farm. Rodents came to eat the corn and the snake found opportunity. Dining on lizards, frogs, rodents, and birds, along with their eggs, they are non-venomous. Of course it could be a pine snake. Would have been easier with better color.
RVn Full-time

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of killing it, you should have relocated it. It's obvious from the shape of its head that it isn't venomous.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
My best estimate would be a Florida Pine Snake

http://www.floridabackyardsnakes.com/FloridaPineSnake.html
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shame to kill a non-poisonous snake. They do good by eating vermin. The thing is, a piece of ground will only support so many snakes so when you kill a non-poisonous snake, you make room for a poisonous one.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't of killed it either, I would of been too busy running away. Glad it's dead. I hate snakes.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

bobsue2
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a Pine Snake. Harmless, non-venomous. Protected in some states.

Agree...surprised it even got close to the nest...most barnyard fowl will harass a snake until they force it to leave.....
2013 Key Largo
12 MegaCab 3500 DRW 4x4 18k Superslide 19.5 Michelin LDX-2

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
My DW would tell you it's a cross between a 40' Anaconda and a King Cobra. :W
I don't especially like snakes but, I would not have killed it.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Why did you need to kill it?

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a Pine Snake. Harmless, non-venomous. Protected in some states.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is water snake,but im no expert,even though I stayed at a Holiday Inn express.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
x2
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
the good kind.....DEAD!
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.