cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's the worst storm you have been in while camping?

lushy
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious of everyone's experience with Mother Nature. Here's one of ours.

South Dakota in 2011 a storm is rolling in. I'm not one to get uneasy about the weather but this one had me very concerned for the wife and family. I think the pictures will tell the rest of the story.

And then after it passed by:
2011 Jayco Jay Feather Select 29L, Blue Ox Sway Pro
2007.5 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel, Air Lift
52 REPLIES 52

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2:
1) before we had our trailer, we were tent camping on Georgian Bay. We had a beautiful waterfront spot. At about 10pm the wind picks up, and I mean picks up. I checked my phone and the weather app said no problems here. I was getting concerned as it was getting really strong blowing everything around. I finally clued in to check the marine forcast on Georgian bay and they had a marine weather advisory warning of gale force winds up to 100km/h from the north, and we were on the south shore. We ended up parking the car in front of the tent for the night to block the wind, but by AM the inside of the tent was covered in a fine grit of sand that was blown off the beach, up the side our tent and dropped inside the netting. We also threw out the what was left of the kitchen tent that morning. This is what made us decide to get a trailer.
2) Last July we were at PEI National Park when Hurricane Arthur blew thru. Power went out in the middle of the night and it rained hard and trees were blown down all over the place. Lucky for us: it was downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it got to us, we were in a stand of small pine trees, on the leeward side of the island, and had battery powers. The next AM we had to head home to Ontario. We were driving thru New Brunswick from Miramichi to Grand Falls. This is about 100km of the most isolated highway in Eastern Canada, no cell service, virtually not a single building the entire 100km. There were trees down on the highway continually for about 50km of the drive on this road. I spent about half of the time on this road driving on the left shoulder (with the trailer) to get past all the fallen trees. pic:
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
We were tent camping in Joshua Tree, and were just arriving back to the campsite from a day of off-roading. At evening were were overcome by a sudden sandstorm. Visibility was down to maybe ten feet, and the wind smacked the tent flat on me. My wife jumped from the SUV and helped me out of the dark and rapidly filling tent.

The suddenness of the storm, the reduced visibility, and the element of fear and panic made calm thought nearly impossible. There was no way to sort things out, so we shoved the tent, containing the sleeping bags, clothes and everything else into the back of the SUV. We spent a cold and damp night in the front seats of the SUV, one dog shoved in the mess in the back and one in my wife's lap. Because of the wind and sand, we had to keep the windows closed, which made everything damp and sticky by morning.

We moved on to Death Valley and spend several hours getting showers and shaking the sand out of our belongings so they would be useful again.

Several days later, I was diagnosed with mechanical pneumonia from sand inhalation, and spent a couple of feverish and incoherent days in a hotel room in Flagstaff, narrowly avoiding hospitalization.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
November, 2013 (Sunday), we were in CG in East Peoria Illinois, which shares a border with Washington on one side and Peoria on the other. We were still having coffee late morning when the warning sirens went off. Thought it was a mistake until I turned on television. Several tornadoes had been reported in the area, with one less than 5 miles away headed our direction!

Needless to say we were in the F350 and heading into Washington where our friends live. They have a rather nice basement which is where we wanted to be, UNDERGROUND!

The drive was only about 10 minutes away but the tornado changed its path and tried to intercept us. I know they say "you can't out run a tornado", but I guarantee you that at 90mph you certainly can. It was a EF4 and destroyed hundreds of homes in the area. We wish we had taken some pics as it passed directly behind us but I was too busy driving and the DW was too busy praying!

Later that day when we returned to the CG there wasn't even a tree branch down. We should have stayed there.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Re: your 1st picture, you had your awning out?
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
Les just say ALL our shoes were soaked and we wished we had packed the hip waders.

Thank Jebus for the 4 wheel drive and a tow chain.
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

geotex1
Explorer
Explorer
Too many to list! Some highlights: 5-hour thunderstorm on Mt. Desert Island notable for the intense, red lightning! Pre-KOA Association Island where the storm gusts were so strong it toppled over a small family in a pop-up. James Island with Hurricane Floyd!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
sat two days in ty texas in a ice storm , NO ONE was on the move. quarter inch ice on everything.watched

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many, many years ago, when first starting out with an old 68 StarCraft popup, pulled with a 72 Ford LTD sedan (this was in the early 80s) we camped at Pawnee Campground in the Roosevelt National Forest near Brainard Lake west of Ward, CO at an elevation of 10,400. Beautiful late August weekend, perfect for camping at elevation. Until evening. The winds came up and started howling, and kept increasing during the night. The end of our popup was bouncing up and down all night long, and the whole trailer was shaking, making for an extremely stressful night, wondering if that little popup was going to make it. When dawn finally came and the winds had died down, we went outside to assess the damage (there wasn't any, fortunately) but the ground around us was covered in several inches of scree snow that had been blown off the mountains to the west of us. Scared the whoosis out of us!!

BTW, those are really AWESOME pics above!!!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.