cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What would you pick and why

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Now that we have Red and the S&S back and full retirement is looming closer, we've decided to get a bigger RV for the "world tour" when we first retire. We plan on going F/T for 2-3 years touring the US and Canada and want something bigger than the S&S. A larger TC with slides would fit the bill but I just can't justify buying a newer truck since Red has at least 100k or more left in her, and she can't handle a 5000+lb TC. We'll keep the S&S for after the tour, cause it works just fine for us...we just can't see us living out of it for 2-3 years.

Now to the choices, we plan on bringing a touring M/C along for the best sightseeing. That being said there's 2 ways to go, 5er or TT. With a 5er we can go T/H, but most of those are to "desert" oriented for our tastes. Or we can do a 26-30 foot 5er with a swivel wheel platform on the rear. Or we can put the bike in the back of Red and pull a TT. I want to stay in the 10K and under GVWR for whatever we get, and it will definitely be used and under 20K.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP
22 REPLIES 22

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Yeah, backing down is not fun if it's steep. But I've never minded doing Peggy's scooters, they have front and rear brakes on the bars, so both feet are on the ramp. My VFR just slides the front wheel so I have to put a foot up to use the rear brake. Not a big deal, but not my favorite thing to do. I don't use the clutch because I don't like the idea of the engine turning over backwards.

They make a 4'x 10' arched ramp that's designed for the heavy weights, my friend has one and it's pretty easy to load and unload a full dresser with it, I've used it before. I transported my dressers up and down the hill in the winter to be able to ride for years, trailers, truck beds, and the like.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
I don't know the towing capacities of your truck, but if it works out and the budget isn't too big of a concern, check out the Grand Design Momentum 376TH. It's got a great front living room floor plan that I think would be nice for full timing, and room for a motorcycle without it being a true "toyhauler".

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2019/toy-hauler/momentum/floorplans/376th

Nice unit but WAY to big for us....that wouldn't fit on most of the highways that we travel...we like the old 2 lane highways over the super slabs. I think 28 feet is about the max length that we would go, we like to stay in state and federal CG's when we use them and the smaller the better there too. We had a 26' 5er that fit the bill but the DW wanted a 37' behemoth class A soooo.....
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Ltrip wrote:
Pictures here that didn't load in my previous message:

I hope it works!

Cheers,

Yeah that works too, and that may be the way to go. TT's are pretty affordable and everywhere and since Red is a dually longbed, the bike will fit with no issues and I have mega load capacity.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Well sounds like you got some fun choices ahead.
My least favorite choice would be towing a med/large size trailer with Red. I know sheโ€™s a good truck and you fave, but......30 year old big block wonโ€™t even tow like todayโ€™s half tons.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ltrip wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I've never been found of riding the bike up a ramp to the back of a truck, but riding up the back ramp of a toyhauler is pretty much a non-issue.

BTW pictures did not load.

I agree...riding up is not an issue. The backing down is a bit more precarious.
I will try to get the pictures to load.
Cheers,
Yeah, backing down is not fun if it's steep. But I've never minded doing Peggy's scooters, they have front and rear brakes on the bars, so both feet are on the ramp. My VFR just slides the front wheel so I have to put a foot up to use the rear brake. Not a big deal, but not my favorite thing to do. I don't use the clutch because I don't like the idea of the engine turning over backwards.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
Pictures here that didn't load in my previous message:

I hope it works!

Cheers,
Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2018 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate CC SB 4X4 diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I've never been found of riding the bike up a ramp to the back of a truck, but riding up the back ramp of a toyhauler is pretty much a non-issue.

I agree...riding up is not an issue. The backing down is a bit more precarious.
I will try to get the pictures to load.
Cheers,
Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2018 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate CC SB 4X4 diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

Yeah I got that, and they have some pretty nice ramps these days.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
Just curious what you mean by "too desert oriented"? We don't live anywhere near a desert and use our toyhauler just fine ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm looking for more creature comforts than what I've seen in T/H's. But I admit that I haven't looked at them lately, and I don't want to buy new.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know the towing capacities of your truck, but if it works out and the budget isn't too big of a concern, check out the Grand Design Momentum 376TH. It's got a great front living room floor plan that I think would be nice for full timing, and room for a motorcycle without it being a true "toyhauler".

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2019/toy-hauler/momentum/floorplans/376th
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
westernrvparkowner wrote:
rk911 wrote:
S&S????
I agree, you need a decoder ring to decipher the post.
Thanks for that, I thought I was the only one out of the loop.

Sorry, talk mainly to Truck Camper people although we've had pretty much the gambit in RV's.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious what you mean by "too desert oriented"? We don't live anywhere near a desert and use our toyhauler just fine ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've never been fond of riding the bike up a ramp to the back of a truck, but riding up the back ramp of a toyhauler is pretty much a non-issue.

On Edit: changed "found" to "fond". Oops.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Just a suggestion? How about the Outback TT with the front garage?

That's interesting, but a touring bike is 900lbs, I don't think it's rated for that much weight.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP