cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wheel chocks - Best for trailer?

John_S2
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 27’ Airstream trailer and have had bad experiences with plastic wheel chocks that fit under the dual wheels.

Are there better wheel chocks that are recommended?

In looking online there are some that expand between the tires/wheels. Are those better? If so which brand is best?

Any and all suggestions and tips are appreciated.

TIA. John S
John & Peg S.
99 Coachman Class C - 24ft
42 REPLIES 42

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
You can also get plastic wedges as part of the leveling blocks that integrate or lock in with the rest of the blocks.

Unfortunately those Lynx Stop 'n Chocks don't lock tightly against the tires as their position is limited by how they lock into the Lynx blocks, the result being the trailer can still shift. :M With my particular trailer they're also FAR too large to fit between the tires ... a non-starter. 😞
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yet another person here just using the cheapo yellow chocks.
30 years of RVing and never an issue with them.

rogerddd
Explorer
Explorer
What SoundGuy said. I had very poor results using X-Chocks. Now I just use regular chocks on both sides of the RV

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use the RotoChoks to secure my 5th wheel in place. I have forgotten to pull them when we get ready to leave, and remember very quickly when the trailer won't move. I figure if those plastic chocks will allow the trailer to be pulled over them and crushed, and my RotoChoks won't even allow my 5th wheel to move, I'm golden.

I don't believe I would trust the X-Choks though. They don't look they would grip as well as the RotoChoks. But I would definitely trust the RotoChocks over the plastic chocks.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.pippenings.com/rv-supplies/product/ym-w4194-solid-rubber-wheel-chock-with-handle-8-34-le...

Went to these after I ran over and crushed my yellow chocks. Much harder to run over also :B

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
SoundGuy wrote:
You can also get plastic wedges as part of the leveling blocks that integrate or lock in with the rest of the blocks.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I used the X chocks all the time. Personally I think the company is doing a good jo0b on CYA. :h

Now I have Roto's because of the small gap between the tires.

However most time I use the cheapo plastic ones. I have not tried Larry's approach when leaving yet.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
And your RV has never rolled into a river?

Amazing! 🙂

Yep, really funny ... until it happens to you. :W :S

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
WOW I'm ABSOLUTELY AMAZED at what appear to be the # of misinformed and clueless folks that have made this one line recommendations for these inbetween chocks like the rotochock, bal/X-chocks that even the manufacturer recommends against securing the trailer with as SoundGuy has pointed out.

I'm also amazed we don't read of more catastrophic stories when some of these safety devices are so misused.

For 40+ years I've used the run of the mill plastic yellow chocks and never had any issues except the couple to times I forgot to remove them and "crushed" them when leaving a camp site.

Larry

And your RV has never rolled into a river?

Amazing! 🙂
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
WOW I'm ABSOLUTELY AMAZED at what appear to be the # of misinformed and clueless folks that have made this one line recommendations for these inbetween chocks like the rotochock, bal/X-chocks that even the manufacturer recommends against securing the trailer with as SoundGuy has pointed out.

I'm also amazed we don't read of more catastrophic stories when some of these safety devices are so misused.

For 40+ years I've used the run of the mill plastic yellow chocks and never had any issues except the couple to times I forgot to remove them and "crushed" them when leaving a camp site.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Before modifying a set of adjustable BAL Standard Tire Locking Chocks so they would fit between the tires on our Coachmen trailer I used rubber chocks (for Canadians, from Princess Auto) which were secured in place with hardwood spacers.

This worked quite well as the spacer would prevent the chocks from shifting in any way so the trailer couldn't roll forward, couldn't roll backward. Had I not been able to shorten the BAL chocks to fit, this rubber chock / spacer method would still be my preferred method of securing the trailer so it absolutely can't inadvertently shift. :B

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
Harbor Freight chocks. I must admit the thought of my TT rolling into the river has me thinking about adding something more. LOL
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Planning wrote:
John S wrote:
Have a 27’ Airstream trailer and have had bad experiences with plastic wheel chocks that fit under the dual wheels.

Are there better wheel chocks that are recommended?

In looking online there are some that expand between the tires/wheels. Are those better? If so which brand is best?

Any and all suggestions and tips are appreciated.

TIA. John S

While driving commercial vehicles my employer mandated the use of chocks on very stop whereby the operator had to leave the driver's seat.

We used these, and I still do. Four of them, two on each side of the RV.

Yup, these are the best chocks.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
The onestep chock by fastway looks interesting.

I had a set but just couldn't find an adjustment that would work for all situations. 😞 Many don't realize it but tire spread varies depending on how the trailer sits on it's suspension, spread changes if the tires are sitting on a soft ground surface compared to a hard surface, and especially if the trailer has a slide on one side the spread between the curb side tires and spread between the street side tires can be different. With the BAL Standard Tire Locking Chock which can be adjusted infinitely any variance can be taken up simply by turning the threaded shaft but adjustment of the One Step is limited to the distance between the adjustment holes so sometimes it's just too tight, other times just too loose. If the BAL fits your tire spread it's by far the better choice. :B

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
I've been using the cheap plastic ones for years, so far the sky hasn't fallen and my trailer hasn't exploded.

I don't go out of my way to park where my trailer would be prone to roll away.

An unfortunate way to limit yourself. :W

Plastic chocks did once slip out of place on me, trailer headed instantly for the river behind our campsite. :E Fortunately that was back when we were camping in a popup so between two of us we managed to stop the train before it rolled all the way down the hill and into the river. If it happens even once you'll never forget it. 😉