cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When do you guys connect / disconnect when traveling?

whit
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to tow my car behind my class a for the first time and was wondering.
Do you guys disconnect your toad inside the campground? It seems to me it might be tight in some campgrounds and you would be blocking the road. Do any of you pull over before the RV park and disconnect outside? What about when you leave?
Thanks, Mike
Mike
19 REPLIES 19

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
When I used to tow I'd usually tow the car into the park. In Washington State parks they would charge for an extra vehicle if you drove your toad into the park but if you towed it it was free. Never had a problem finding a spot to pull out of the way to unhook, and unhooking was never more than a 2-3 minute process anyway.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most CGs have signs for where to park when checking in. I park there or wherever the office is and the DW goes in and registers while I unhook. She's rarely back before I've unhooked. As long as there is still a open lane for anyone coming/going I do not worry about blocking the road for two minutes.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
It's the usual answer: "It Depends"

Sometimes you can get all the way to your site, or even pull-through, before you need to consider unhooking. If it's an overnight only, you may not need to actually disconnect.

Other times the RV park or its sites are too tight to allow the process, and it is easier to disconnect out near the registration area, or occasionally somewhere outside the park.

In some cases I would meet Mrs Obg and the toad down the road after I fueled up the "A".

Just another thing to be considered in the daily routine of traveling with a toad.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with pigman1, though I don't really like to block the road even for 5 minutes. If I call for a reservation, sometimes I ask on the phone so I'll know beforehand. Also sometimes use Google maps satellite view beforehand to get the lay of the land. Sometimes you'll get a pull-through site, so you can unhook on your campsite.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Even though our tow bar allows unlocking without the toad being straight behind the rig, many do not so I'd unhook wherever you can keep things in a straight line inside the park. Even if you block a street for 3-4 minutes, others have been in the same situation and should cut you some slack as long as you don't diddle around. When checking in, ask those behind the desk. They'll give you the straight skinny.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus