cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which Generator? Need Your Opinions

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Now that the Cyclone is gone, we don't have an onboard generator. The Work & Play is a TT so its 30A. This summer, we've been using a mammoth generator: this NorthStar.

Obviously, power is not a concern but its quite loud. Now that the summer is ending and cool temperatures are coming, I have the yearning for something a little quieter. I'm worried a Honda 3000 will become a hassle if we decide to keep using this next year. But the next size up is the Honda 6500 or 7000. Right now, they are $3999.

Yamaha makes a 4500 inverter but the closest Yamaha dealer is 40 miles away. Weird but there shows no dealers in the Raleigh area. The 4500 would do well I think and I found a used one on craigslist. I just talked to the guy today.

Yamaha

Its a little over two years old. It now has 9 hours. It obviously looks brand new and he said its in perfect condition. The remote start means nothing to me. When we set up at our races, the generator runs until its time to add fuel or its time to go home. He said his price is pretty firm.

WiseSales shows them listed at $3059.10 and an extra year of extended warranty. That's four years of warranty versus one left on this one.

What would you do? Get a Honda? Get this Yamaha? Get a new Yamaha? Get something totally different? Reliability and quietness are a priority.
21 REPLIES 21

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Kit comes with a custom fuel cap where the honda can draw fuel in continuously through the fuel hose from a secondary tank. Looks similar to a fuel tank for an outboard motor.

http://www.wisesales.com/duration-power-dual-feed-extended-run-fuel-tank.html

Kit shown may not have the new fuel caps so call to make sure what you need.
I assume you could even top off this fuel tank without shutting down the generators.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard others mention the extended run fuel tank. How exactly does that setup work?

I dislike the twin Honda setup because the fuel capacity is so small.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
+1 for twin hondas and I will add to get an extended run fuel tank since you seem to be running near continuous.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recommend going with paralleled twin Honda 2000 inverter portables.

This combination would give you power for air conditioning, combined with liftability from being able to handle each unit individually ... plus provide basic 120V AC backup for the RV by having two of them in case one should fail on a camping trip.

I'd recommend twin Yamaha 2400 inverter portables, instead, for more power, combined with liftability ... if Yamaha's 2400 could be paralleled, but I don't think this model can be paralleled up with another one.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I think you're both right on brand. I'd rather pay for the peace of mind with the Honda or Yamaha. If whatever generator we get is strong enough to run the AC and other devices (4500 watts +), then it'll probably see around 400-500 hours per year.

A local dealer has four Honda 7000s that NCSU is using for football "stuff". When they're returned, they usually have on average 10 hours and will be sold as demos with full warranty. But of course, they'll be cheaper than list price. One of those new Hondas 7000s would certainly take care of all my needs. The new EFI gets 18 hours on 5 gallons of fuel at 1/4 load. Nice.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
He is asking 80% of a new one and his warranty is likely not transferable. No bargain. If you want quiet you will need to step up to a premium unit such as Honda or Yamaha, the off shore knockoffs don't cut it.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Reliable and Quiet means Honda or Yamaha. If you cannot work on it yourself you may want the warranty but the only thing that's likely to go wrong will be the carb getting gunked which will be on you.

Off brands are tough to get parts or service for if needed and there is a lack of familiarity in small engine shops to many of them.

It's your call whether the warranty is worth $500 to you.

Personally, I would buy nothing but a Honda or Yamaha. I did my one stint on an off brand and it was noisy as hell for half the power output of my smallest Honda.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad