cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which tow dolly to get

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at Master Tow or Stehl tow dollies with surge brakes.
Which one to choose?
Both are about the same cost.
Any thoughts?
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com
4 REPLIES 4

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I know, Demco is the only tie rod steerable dolly, and is the best of the best. But not saying others won't work good.
Amco is a rigid frame non steerable dolly,...wheels are going straight ahead all the time, even around the corners, and while they seem to work, I myself wouldn't have one.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, the best of the bunch is the DEMCO Kar Kaddy.
Yes, they are pricey, especially if you go for the top of the line with all the bells and whistles (folding tongue, surge brakes, disc brakes, etc.).

I had the lower priced one, no brakes, no folding tongue, just the basic dolly. Like a fool, I sold it. Sure wish I hadn't done that!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have a Master Tow with surge brake. Never had any issues with it. Had one panic stop with it and the surge brake worked flawlessly. Master Tow has pivoting turntable and platform tilts down to drive car up on. Can be trick when it is raining as ramps get slippery. Never had an issue with front air dam on Chevy Malibu, but you need to check for clearance as you pull on the first time. Did not have provisions for safety chains, but was easy enough to fabricate some. Will admit that I ran the first year and a half without them and no problems. But then I got paranoid. Was a bit of a pain to pin the tilting platform after the car was loaded.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
What I know is that there are a few that don't have a deck that swivels, you have to leave the steering wheel unlocked so the front wheels turn, bad idea since the key needs to be on. Surge brakes are good and beyond that most are a variation of the same thing.