cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why do I still look at my tankl level gauges?

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I was just thinking about this. I know we are all familiar with stock tank level gauges not being accurate. On my trailer sometimes I push the button and the level looks right. And sometimes I push the button and know in my head that there is no way it's that full. So it brings up the questions?

Why do I press the button at all?
  • If the reading seems high I ignore it because these sensors all stink.
  • If the level seems about right I believe it. But then how do I know it's not actually wrong?

I guess my theory is that based on the way the sensors work it is safe to say they may read high, but they will never read low.

What's your theory, Am I on the right track or all full of p@@p?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup
21 REPLIES 21

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
DSDP Don, I have to think if a 40 or more gallon black tank only lasts 2.5 days, you need to cut down on the beer. ??
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
opnspaces wrote:

Question: Do you go to Church?
related: Do you believe in Miracles?

You push the button to see if a Miracle has happened and the sensors are working as they should instead of as they do.. Of course they are not. but hey. Faith springs eternal they say.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:

I press it 'cuz the fresh water sensor works and I judge everything by that. We can fill up the FW tank twice before we need to dump. We do put lots of dishwater down the toilet.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I know people spend hundreds of dollars on monitoring systems and then pretty much ignore them. When you dump, it's often more determined by where you're at and when you're moving onto the next campsite. I know the black tank in my Dutch Star is good for 2.5 days and is full. So every two days, I just hit the electric drain switch and the black tank dumps. My grey is always empty as I have a bypass on my SaniCon. To be fair, my electric toilets have a ight that goes form yellow to red as the tank nears full.

I think people have a weird addiction to knowing exacty what's in their tanks, when it's not that big a deal. Often installing a SeeLevel or some other brand is a satisfying gadget installation.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
The standard sensors detect when something conducts betwen the probes. It's not hard to have stuff clinging to the tank walls and giving too high readings. it's much, much harder for there to be a submerged bubble of nothingness.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
My SeeLevel tank level display has always read correctly, so I do use it regularly. You're probably correct for the "nails in the tank" style monitors though, they don't typically read low.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate