cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will Air bags make a big difference?

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
So we've had a 21'5th wheel for 16 years, and love it, but it's getting long in the tooth, and it's a little small, so we bought a 2012 Shasta Revere BH, 27', 31' with the hitch. We took it on our first trip this past week and had a real problem with the truck bucking up and down and also swaying. It's 5777 dry weight, and our Chevy is a half-ton, rated up to 9400 lbs. Anyway, we made it to our destination, but I felt so uncomfortable driving it do the swaying and shaking. The camper came with an old equalizing hitch, but not sway bars, the owner said he had never felt he needed them. I called a local hitch place and had them install a Curt hitch with integrated sway control, and thought we were all set. It DID help a little with the sway but didn't seem to help much with the bucking. Any little bump we went over the truck bucked up and down and, and the steering wheel felt like the truck was over loaded. I called the hitch dealer back and he said I probably need to have airbags or something else done to strengthen the suspension. My question, would that make a huge difference? My wife says she can't ride in this truck if we can't solve this problem as the bucking and vibration makes her sick. Mind you, we've been across country several times with the 5th wheel. We had occasional bucking with that, but only when we went over severe bumps like a bad bridge transit for example. I've got $700 invested in the hitch, with little to show for it, and the airbag would cost about $1000. Well worth it, if it works, but not if it only makes a little difference. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Gary in Michigan
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab 5.3 Liter V8
1996 Coachmen Catalina RB210 21' Fifth Wheel
495 Watts Solar, 40 AMP Renogy Tracer MPPT Controller,2 GC2 6V Batts.
75 REPLIES 75

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tire pressure will make a difference, especially the rear truck tires. If stated is 35 psi, that is for normal no load operation. Towing that size trailer, I'd run rear truck tires close to max pressure on side wall (maybe 44 psi)?

Tires, truck or trailer maximums, are set cold. The closer you get to max pressure in the trailer tires, the better it will handle, and they'll run cooler too.

If the front end of truck feels light to steer, you may need to transfer more wt to front. A scale would help if you have one nearby.

Hitch wt should be about 12-13 percent to lessen the sway.

Jerry

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
GaryS1953 wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
Not enough hitch weight? That is typical of the issues you mentioned in my experience.

Marty
I'm not sure what you mean. Could you elaborate? Here are the specs for the trailer:

Trailer Specs

Hitch Weight 663 lbs
GVWR 9463 lbs
Dry Weight 5777 lbs
Cargo Capacity 3212 lbs

Vehicle Specs

4WD:
Double Cab, 5.8 V8
9600 lbs / 4354 kgs โ€“ 5.3L (3.42 axle)

Thanks!

This is the issue; You think somebody looking at numbers like this should be able to tell you why your snot don't tow right. The idea you can't seem to get between your ears is it does not matter what is printed on the paper. The scale is not just something for fun. Until you know what the real weights are there is no way anybody can tell you what you need to change.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
GaryS1953 wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
Not enough hitch weight? That is typical of the issues you mentioned in my experience.

Marty
I'm not sure what you mean. Could you elaborate? Here are the specs for the trailer:

Trailer Specs

Hitch Weight 663 lbs
GVWR 9463 lbs
Dry Weight 5777 lbs
Cargo Capacity 3212 lbs

Vehicle Specs

4WD:
Double Cab, 5.8 V8

Thanks!

This is where folks who donโ€™t know blinker fluid from muffler bearings get over their headโ€ฆ
Is it light or HEAVY on the hitch? How much are you taking off with the wdh? What tires, what psi? Is it doing the Carolina squat or didja get er good and weight distributed (maybe too much)?
And if you canโ€™t tell, even approx order of magnitude, after this many years, maybe this towing thing ainโ€™t for you.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Empty weight is irrelevant and payload often runs out before tow rating.

Swing by a CAT scale and find out what the real weights are (loaded as if you are going on a trip). Take 3 measurements (after the first, you can do re-weighs for like $3, so probably $20-25 total).
- Fully hooked up with the WDH connected.
- Hooked up but disconnect the WDH bars.
- Just the truck.

With this info, you can determine the actual weight of the trailer and the actual hitch weight. Then you can determine the hitch weight and if the truck is overloaded.

On the door of the truck are stickers that provide overall and per axle payload ratings.

It might be that the trucks rear suspension is overloaded or it could be the opposite and the hitch weight is too low. If it's too low, airbags won't help.

I may get to a cat scale, but in the meantime could you elaborate? What is meant by "hitch weight is too low"? Thanks!
Gary in Michigan

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:
Need to have the hitch properly setup, you are not transferring enough weight to the steer axle. Air bags will not help, might even make it worse.
Do you mean there is too much weight in the back of the truck, lifting the front wheels? That's kind of how it felt. My hitch has different adjustments and it's set one from the top.
Gary in Michigan

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
Home Skillet wrote:
The trailer tongue weight may be too high.
Air bag will help quite a bit.
Thanks!
Gary in Michigan

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
Could be the installing dealer didn't hook the hitch up correctly and you do't have enough tension on the bars; it has happened many times before. New friction hitches like yours are paint on paint and wearing in could help with the anti-sway.

Air bags might help with the bouncing, but they may have a tendency to lighten the front end of your truck. First thing I would do is measure your wheel wells, front and rear, to the ground, and make sure the measurements are close to the same with the trailer hooked up and the spring bars installed. Could be you will have to adjust your hitch head to add more tension to the bars.

You should weigh your trailer. You might find it is far more than 5,777 pounds, and is nearing the zone where your truck is insufficient. Make sure your tires are aired to the max and your truck's shocks are good. There is plenty of stuff to check before spending money.

I can empathize, my wife told me the same thing with a poor riding fifth wheel.
The hitch dealer did the install himself, and he had a ton of great reviews. He did a lot of measuring, front and rear of trailer as well as front and rear of the truck, several times and make several different adjustments. It certainly seemed like he knew what he was doing. I checked my trailer tires this morning and they were all about 65 PSI, and they are rated at MAX 80, but I'm not sure if that's cold. I added 5 lbs to put them at 70 ps1. Truck tires were 34 front and 32 rear. Specs call for 35 cold, so I brought them up to that. Could that little bit have made a significant difference?

Thanks!
Gary in Michigan

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:

Marty

Trailer Specs

Hitch Weight 663 lbs
GVWR 9463 lbs
Dry Weight 5777 lbs
Cargo Capacity 3212 lbs

Vehicle Specs

4WD:
Double Cab, 5.8 V8

Thanks!
Gary in Michigan

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Grit dog wrote:
Well, airbags are $350 and a 2 beer install if youโ€™re a better drinker than mechanicโ€ฆlol.
But seriously a simple bolt on accessory. Just like most other options that would help in the same regard.

And to add to this, you donโ€™t actually say if the truck appears to be carrying a lot of hitch load with the wdh or if itโ€™s sagging.
But having issues with both sway and bucking, Iโ€™d make sure the new hitch is doing its job first. You are likely around 7klbs on the trailer and โ€œshouldโ€ be seeing 900lbs or better tongue weight. Which will squish down a set of half ton springs pretty good.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any time I'm reading a question about towing, see the words like "dry weight listed as x,xxx" I wonder how somebody can expect to tow well when they have now idea what weight towing, and how it is distributed.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Empty weight is irrelevant and payload often runs out before tow rating.

Swing by a CAT scale and find out what the real weights are (loaded as if you are going on a trip). Take 3 measurements (after the first, you can do re-weighs for like $3, so probably $20-25 total).
- Fully hooked up with the WDH connected.
- Hooked up but disconnect the WDH bars.
- Just the truck.

With this info, you can determine the actual weight of the trailer and the actual hitch weight. Then you can determine the hitch weight and if the truck is overloaded.

On the door of the truck are stickers that provide overall and per axle payload ratings.

It might be that the trucks rear suspension is overloaded or it could be the opposite and the hitch weight is too low. If it's too low, airbags won't help.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

blt2ski

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Need to have the hitch properly setup, you are not transferring enough weight to the steer axle. Air bags will not help, might even make it worse.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Well, airbags are $350 and a 2 beer install if youโ€™re a better drinker than mechanicโ€ฆlol.
But seriously a simple bolt on accessory. Just like most other options that would help in the same regard.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Could be the installing dealer didn't hook the hitch up correctly and you do't have enough tension on the bars; it has happened many times before. New friction hitches like yours are paint on paint and wearing in could help with the anti-sway.

Air bags might help with the bouncing, but they may have a tendency to lighten the front end of your truck. First thing I would do is measure your wheel wells, front and rear, to the ground, and make sure the measurements are close to the same with the trailer hooked up and the spring bars installed. Could be you will have to adjust your hitch head to add more tension to the bars.

You should weigh your trailer. You might find it is far more than 5,777 pounds, and is nearing the zone where your truck is insufficient. Make sure your tires are aired to the max and your truck's shocks are good. There is plenty of stuff to check before spending money.

I can empathize, my wife told me the same thing with a poor riding fifth wheel.