cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Window replacement from local glass place?

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
Today I was driving south down US-95 in Idaho and past the Hell's Canyon area as the road finally reaches a broad valley, a window in my trailer broke! My wife an I were debating what the sound was and I looked in my side mirror and saw pieces of glass falling off the trailer.

The temperatures in the Hell's Canyon area were hot. My truck said 107 and down where the window broke it was in the 90s. I don't think the sun was on the side of the trailer with the window.

No idea what broke it. I'm very happy I have double pane glass and the inside pane is fine.

So, now my question... Can I just go to a local glass shop that does windows? We have a local company that does all window types. I'm wondering what my chances are of them being able to put in a new double pane glass tinted window that matches the others. Would they know hot to install it?

Anyone try this? I know if I go the dealer route it is going to take weeks and weeks and months to get fixed.

2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali
7 REPLIES 7

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a sliding side window on the boat explode in July. Local glass company had a tempered tinted replacement made in a week included a hole for the knob/handle. Tin matches! Sun had been on it earlier in the day. No one near it when it just exploded according to witnesses.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
I've left my trailer at the glass place to get a new glass pane installed. Calling around on this was interesting.

1. The dealer had two solutions, use a local guy that they sub-contract to and they gave me his number or order a new window from the mfg. If they order a new one, they order the entire window insert; frame, all 3 windows, etc.

2. The dealer's local guy said he has to order DOT only glass. The company that he uses is out of state, it takes 6 weeks, and they send an entirely new window insert with a new frame but it will only have 1 window and I will lose the small bottom window that opens.

3. The local glass place is big enough that they have more capabilities. They will take the old frame out, take it apart enough to put in a new tempered tinted dual-pane window. I get to put the interior wood trim back in place. This is at least half the price of the other solutions the dealer provided.

I'll find out this week how it works out when the new glass comes in.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
While not a dual pane window I did have one get broken on my trailer. I removed the frame and took it to a local glass shop. Them made a template and ordered a new pre-cut piece of tempered glass and installed it in the frame. It took about a week start to finish.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

The glass alone can be replaced.
The window does not need to be removed. It can be done in place.
Your broken glass is tempered, as indicated by the picture. Looks like it could be tinted too.
They need to remove the sealed unit from the frame, cut another piece of glass, using the remaining piece as a template, send it out to have it tempered and then cut the inside layer of glass away from the spacer bar, clean it up and make a new unit from the two pieces. The spacer bar could be reused but it is advisable to replace it if possible.
This job is not RV specific. The application of replacing broken glass is standard across many different styles and types of windows, regardless of where they are installed.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
There is a spacer that runs around the edge of the glass. Trim the glass sealent off the spacer and put the new piece on top of the spacer. Gently clamp then reseal around the edge of the window. I have done several of my dual panes this way with no issues whatsoever.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know which way you're headed, but there's an excellent RV glass shop in Vancouver, WA called Windows in Motion.

Jeff Kemp
jeff@motionwindows.com
www.motionwindows.com
800/468-4323
6005 NE 121st Ave
Vancouver, WA 98682

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
pressure popped it my guess a new window for you being it is double payned