cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Woodsmoke Campground Pet Policy

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
We have reservations for a week next February at the Woodsmoke Campground in Fort Myers, FL. We got an e-mail yesterday that reads in relevant part as follows:
Just call us the poo patrol. Starting in the 16/17 season we will be implementing a new program in order to deal with the constant dog waste issue. We will be using the company, Poo Prints. This company provides a service that keeps track of a dogโ€™s DNA so that when dog waste is found they can test it and determine what dog it belongs to. Unfortunately, what weโ€™ve tried in the past hasnโ€™t worked and the dog waste issue has worsened. In order to keep a clean environment that is beneficial to all people we have chosen to try something new.

This Fall/Winter everyone who has a dog will be required to bring the dog to the office upon check in to get their cheek swabbed with a q-tip. There will be a one time $20 per dog registration fee. Depending on the dogโ€™s temperament the owner might need to be the one doing the swabbing. We will then send this q-tip off to Poo Prints where they will store the information. (Poo Prints charges us $40 for each registered dog.)

If waste is found around the park that hasnโ€™t been picked up by the owner then a sample of it will be shipped off to Poo Prints. They will then let us know which dog it matches. Once a match is found then the owner of that dog will be fined $75.00. (Poo prints charges us $75 for each time we submit a sample.)

This is the only solution that pinpoints who the owner is and avoids wrongful accusations. We wish it didnโ€™t have to come to this, but this issue has gotten out of hand. Weโ€™d like to correct the situation so that all campers can enjoy the beauty of the park and not have to watch where they step. You can check out the Poo Prints website if youโ€™d like more information too.

Thanks,
Woodsmoke Management

A few questions/comments:
  • I've never heard of such a thing before, and it seems unbelievably weird. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this anywhere else?
  • I guess I understand what the campground is driving at, but I've never been anywhere in over 40 years of RV'ing where the dog poo problem is so bad that it would call for extreme measures.
  • If the Woodsmoke clientรจle is so slovenly that the campground has to resort to DNA profiling to solve the problem, I bet dog poo is only one reason I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to stay there.
  • It seems like less intrusive options exist. Like maybe signing a form that says, "On my honor, I will pick up after my dog..." If someone is so dishonorable that he'd violate that covenant, I'd worry more about getting my stuff stolen than stepping in dog poo.
  • It also seems like if one leaves without having dog poo seized by the Doggie-DNA forces, one ought to get a refund of the DNA profiling fee.

Anyway, unless I get some comfort that this isn't as bizarre as it seems at first blush, I guess I'll cancel the reservation and stay somewhere better. Thoughts?

Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1
52 REPLIES 52

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I have found that goose poop is worse than dog poop!

One thing I haven't seen are folks travelling with their pet goose. :B
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have found that goose poop is worse than dog poop! In 13 years I have only had to pick up twice from other people.

And I find it funny how they want us to take something that is 100% natural and biodegradable and put it in a plastic bag that will take at least 100 years to break down! kind of odd to do something like that. No I`m not saying to leave it, but there has to be a better option.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
I have been RVing for over 40 years and have seen the issue of picking up after one's dog grow as time has gone by. No one ever used to do it, and it was a great thing when the problem was first addressed. Too many campers ignore far too many rules regarding their pets. "My dog has never needed a leash" as he runs through my campsite. "I always pick up after my dog" as I watch the owner walking his dog, watch him squat, and then simply move on. "My dog has never hurt anyone" as he runs into my 3 year old grandson who's playing on my site and knocks him down. I have no doubt that this campground has a problem with owners not cleaning up after their dogs. There's no way they would invest so much money and effort into their program, knowing dammed well some will be royally ticked off by it. I give them cudos for having the nerve to hold the owner responsible. Without the cheek swab, identifying the owner would be difficult. With it, there is no argument. Simply saying 'tell everyone to poop scoop' doesn't make it happen. People for the most part only follow rules, especially ones they don' like, if there are significant consequences for breaking them. This sounds like exactly that. If a pet owner is put out by the rule - that's his prerogative. There are other campgrounds to stay at. I WILL check out this particular CG when I'm in the area. We have had dogs (none right now) and they have camped with us. We have always followed the rules. Time for everyone to do the same. Don't like it? Stay somewhere else.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of folks on this forum must have an awful boring time camping that so many have nothing better to do than worry about a dog's poop.

Can we start a similar DNA system for smokers and chewers that feel it's alright to spit wherever they please, and throw their butts all over the place? Dog poo might be gross, but butts and chew contain cancer causing toxins and possibly communicable diseases.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
As a non-dog owner,I would be MORE likely to stay at such a campground! No poop smell and if it keeps dog owners from camping there, then less barking also! a win-win!
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

lgarcia
Explorer
Explorer
I live out in the country on two acres. On my property there is dog poop, cat poop, rabbit poop, deer poop, bird poop, possum poop, snake poop..

Well, don't actually know how much snakes poop, but poop is part of being outdoors to me. It is why I have yard shoes and camping shoes and shoe mats at the door.
-Laura
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH (specs and floor plan in profile)
2015 Ram 1500 Hemi

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure this isn't April 1st ?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
A few months ago there was an article on the evening news about a community that started doing DNA on dogs and the poo problem. I thought it was weird then. But not now. Sounds perfectly acceptable to me. People are just plain selfish SOB's, thinking they are the "exception" to everything. I only wish the fine was higher!

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I choose westernrvparkowner's Option 3, We ALWAYS pick up after our little guy, and don't like the idea of getting treated like the ones that don't.
Sounds like the govenment, we can't, or don't want to deal with the offenders, so we'll just go with the mass punishment plan. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

JFNM
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
Congrats to Woodsmoke Campground!! Outstanding ๐Ÿ˜‰

I second this - OUTSTANDING!!

Next, figure out a way to nail the folks that think leash laws/rules do not apply to them and their animals.
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
It probably is at least partially for the deterrent effect. With all the Poo Patrol hype people will probably be more careful. Whether it is worth it in the entire scheme of things, who knows. There would have to be some energy and cost expended by campground to operate this system. Probably depends on how much priority you assign to dog poo as a problem-both from campground or customer perspective. How much time is the campground taking to clean it up for example? As a non-pet owner, I've rarely been bothered by it or seen excessive amounts of it.

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
People made this happen.
People have to be stopped from what is normally a very easy action to clean up after your pet.
Many pets make for alot of crapp! ๐Ÿ™‚

No one did this but people. The pets do their thing, it is up to the people.

I agree with this policy if the place has people that are so inept that they can't pick up. Nothing wrong with this cause the people make it happen.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
How do they expect to collect this "fine"? They're not a government agency, they have no executive branch to execute enforcement or judicial branch to mandate enforcement

I would assume that part of their goal is to make sure offenders don't come back to the park.

Someone goes to check-in and gets told 'last time you were here you didn't pick up after your dog. That will cost you an extra $75'

'Yes I did'

'Here is the DNA test that shows someone didn't pick up your digs poop'

'Well we won't stay here now or ever.'

'Fine. Your deposit is forfeit, and don't let the door hit you on the way out'
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats to Woodsmoke Campground!! Outstanding ๐Ÿ˜‰
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL