cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Biking in Yellowstone in June

FruithurstFam
Explorer
Explorer
We're trying to decide if we need to bring our bikes for a trip to Yellowstone and the national parks in southern Utah. We're not mountain bikers but we do enjoy nice road routes of 20 miles or less. Traffic and no-shoulder issues concern me since we have two older children who are experienced riders. Just wondering if we'll miss the bikes if we leave them at home or if they'll stay on the truck most of the time while we're at the parks.
7 REPLIES 7

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to Yellowstone many times and I never fail to see bikers all over the place during the summer. While the roads don't have bike lanes it has not discouraged them from pedaling through the park in great numbers. I personally won't bike in the park itself because my grandson wouldn't let me go without him and I don't trust traffic enough to risk his safety for that reason. The rv resort where we stay in West Yellowstone has ample places for riding bikes anyway.:C

FruithurstFam
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice! I think you're right, naturist. After reading all your thoughts, I think we'll probably regret not having them more than having them and not using them as much. We spent a weekend at a campground a couple of hours from home last month without the bikes and the kids missed them. If Yellowstone were our only destination, it would be easier to leave them at home, but since we'll be on the road a while, and it sounds like there will be lots of riding options, I think the bikes will be going, too!

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Yellowstone about eight years ago. Brought the bikes. Never even took them off the rack. We felt the roads in Yellowstone were too narrow for safe biking. Now, this was eight years ago, and one person's opinion, but I would not take bikes to Yellowstone.
Kathy

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I still remember the ONE time I left our bikes behind. From the moment we arrived at our destintion I was instantly sorry I had not brought them along. It caused me a lot of aggravation once I realized there were a lot of places we could have biked had I not made the wrong decision and left them behind.:S A word to the wise.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have to be very aware on any of the highways....those darn RV'ers with the extended mirrors get in the way and can easily take you out as they cruise down the road.....OK OK...Im half kidding but they do ask that RV'ers with extended mirrors, remove them when not towing for this reason.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the following website:
http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/bicycling.htm
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
This is one where you can't win. You are going to miss them if you leave them behind, and while they will be useful, they will spend more time in the racks than you would like. That's mighty hilly country there, and there are a lot of roads with, um, "limited shoulders."

When we went to Yellowstone last year, we had to leave the RV home, so bikes were not an option. Two years ago, when we went to GC, Bryce, and Zion, I wished any number of times we'd had them, but we didn't drag 'em along. We were going to last year, but, well, they don't fly well.