cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground Recommendatons - Pittsburgh & New York

brianandsheree
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for campgrounds recommendations near Pittsburgh, PA, New York City and Cooperstown, NY. We will be traveling in June and have 2 kids. Thanks in Advance!
14 REPLIES 14

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
North of NYC there is a county park( Croton Point Park) with full hookups as well as a tent camping area. It is about 1 mile from a Metro North train station. The Metro North trains take you to Grand Central Station in NYC, about 45 minutes on the train depending on the schedule (Express or local). Don't take a trailer or motorhome on any of the NY State parkways near Croton Point Park as there are lots of very low bridges on them.

If you want a park where the kids can run around and play and take a day off from the city, then Croton Point Park might be a good option.

But Liberty Harbor is much closer to the city, so if you want to experience the city as much as possible and only sleep and eat in the RV, then Liberty Harbor should be better.

jtbr3
Explorer
Explorer
Pittsburg - Fox Den Acres, NYC-Liberty Landing, PHI-Timberlane (actually in NJ), DC-Cherry Hill. All close to cities and family friendly except Liberty which is parking lot but closest to NYC.
08 Four Winds Chateau Kodiak 34H

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Cherry Hill Park

Can't go wrong

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

brianandsheree
Explorer
Explorer
Slight change of plans. We are now going to Washington, DC then Philadelphia for 1 night and onto New York City then to Cooperstown.

So, recommendations near Washington, DC..??? Thanks in Advance!

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
micar wrote:
Stayed at Liberty Harbour RV park in Jersey City. Definitely urban camping. Water and elec hookup with dump station.
You can't camp any closer than this to Manhattan. Views of the Statue of Liberty from your RV.

I will 2nd this!

We stayed there two years ago and getting into and out of NYC was easy, cheap and we felt very safe going and coming. We stayed in the city several times until late at night (early morning) and the walk from the PATH was about 3 blocks and there were always people out walking dogs, etc. (High end residential area).

It sure beat catching buses, transferring and then getting on the train, then subway. From LH, you catch the PATH and it will take you to the WTC (World Trade Center) or 33rd St (Times Square area), for less than $3/person.

Getting into and out of the campground was easy - only one tight turn and that was because of construction. The rest of it was on the freeway, which was okay, but not something I would want to do everyday.

There are restaurants near the PATH entrance and a restaurant at the marina, but we didn't use it. There were security guards in/around the marina 24 hrs a day.

There is also a Water taxi that goes from the marina (campground) to Wall St. every hour or so, but it's about $8.00 each way, per person. I walked 3 blocks and saved $10 per person each day.

X3 on Liberty Harbor

Views of the Freedom Tower from your Rv are not to shabby either!

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
If you could make do with just electric for a few nights, my choice would be Raccoon Creek State Park near Hookstown, PA. Another option with full hookups is the KOA in Washington, PA. or Pine Cove Beach Resort near Charleroi, PA.

Hope you are a Pirate fan! We are heading down for a few days for spring training this year.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Farther outside of NYC, but with tours to the city (or you can take commuter rail from a few miles away from the CG), and with activities that will keep kids occupied, is the Newburgh NY KOA. Very nice CG - some of the FHU pullthru sites are wooded enough to feel private but trimmed enough that you won't snag antennas or awnings on the trees. The usual KOA amenities - pool, playground, etc. If your kids are a bit older, there is a lot of history in the area, including George Washington's HQ for part of the Revolutionary War.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

youngone
Explorer
Explorer
Near Lake George, NY we have stayed at MooseHillock campground. Fort Ann, NY. 2 year old campground with full hookups, Big private sites, Real big heated pool with water slides. We go back every summer!

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
micar wrote:
Stayed at Liberty Harbour RV park in Jersey City. Definitely urban camping. Water and elec hookup with dump station.
You can't camp any closer than this to Manhattan. Views of the Statue of Liberty from your RV.

I will 2nd this!

We stayed there two years ago and getting into and out of NYC was easy, cheap and we felt very safe going and coming. We stayed in the city several times until late at night (early morning) and the walk from the PATH was about 3 blocks and there were always people out walking dogs, etc. (High end residential area).

It sure beat catching buses, transferring and then getting on the train, then subway. From LH, you catch the PATH and it will take you to the WTC (World Trade Center) or 33rd St (Times Square area), for less than $3/person.

Getting into and out of the campground was easy - only one tight turn and that was because of construction. The rest of it was on the freeway, which was okay, but not something I would want to do everyday.

There are restaurants near the PATH entrance and a restaurant at the marina, but we didn't use it. There were security guards in/around the marina 24 hrs a day.

There is also a Water taxi that goes from the marina (campground) to Wall St. every hour or so, but it's about $8.00 each way, per person. I walked 3 blocks and saved $10 per person each day.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
brianandsheree wrote:
In Pittsburgh, we are only stopping to take in a game at PNC Park.
Would prefer Full Hookups.

Was there this fall, our son just moved there - we stayed at two places north of town that were only ok

When we go back in the Spring - we will stay at Bear Run - it is north of town right off I79 in Portersville
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

brianandsheree
Explorer
Explorer
In Pittsburgh, we are only stopping to take in a game at PNC Park.
Would prefer Full Hookups.

micar
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Denali HD 3500 DRW
2017 Cougar 333MKS
Me and the Boss travelling in the wheel estate
Willow and Somer, the non retrieving Golden's....

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
I can help on Pittsburgh. Unfortunately there are not many choices in the area. Many private parks are full because of the fracking going on in the area. Let us know if you need hookups and what area of Pittsburgh you are interested in.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

jim1632
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Glimmer Glass State Park on our last trip to Cooperstown. It is end of the lake opposite to Cooperstown. Easy drive into Cooperstown.