Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Campgrounds near Wis

Kerri
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys!
Since it's New Years day and it's time to think about a nice summer get away to new parks. So this year I'm asking for some help. We live in Illinois and would like to go towards Wis.
We have a Chinook motor home and love renting boats,fishing,hiking, pee wee golf, lake or pool swimming and have no kids. But enjoy water front parking, and wooded areas.
Have some ideas where we could go??:W

Thanks
Kerri
5 REPLIES 5

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow. This is such a wide open request.
Wisconsin has many, many great places and campgrounds.
As others have said, the State Parks are great. Devil's Lake SP is a real treat and there are several other state parks nearby that you can day trip to. Be sure to eat at the Ishnala Supper Club in Mirror Lake State Park. The setting and the food are wonderful!
Also, lots of National Forest campgrounds at the two NFs in Wisconsin - Nicolet and Chequamegon National Forests.

It all depends on what you want to do and how you want to camp. Whatever you do, there are lots of State, County, National Forest and private campgrounds to host you.

nazpaz
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check out Castle Rock County Park - it's on Castle Rock Lake (swimming, fishing, boating) near Friendship - around 30 miles north of Wisconsin Dells. I reviewed it here.
-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
--
We've visited them all (but not always with the RV)

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
I've enjoyed going to Devilslake state park near Baraboo many times.

If you can, take the Merrimac free ferry across the river on the way there.
Bill and Joey the dog

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be watching this space! We have been to WI the last 4 or 5 years and have been to Grant river Rec area. Nice place if you don't mind the Railroad running on the edge of it!
It does sit right on the Mississippi.
Its near Galena and we did a wine tour that covered WI IL,IA
We have also been up as far as Eagle river WI for the cranberry festival in OCT. and had a good time.
Last year we went to Marshfield WI for the small school little league world series where our grandson played. There is a free zoo there and a nice campground near by.
All I know is that Wisconsin has lots to see and things to do.
Anyway, I will wait to see the responses you get and maybe we will see ya there!

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Are you willing to go without hookups? If so, the American Legion State Forest CGs are very nice. Up in the area of Minocqua and thereabouts, and all are on lakes.

Click for info
Currently RV-less but not done yet.