cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canoe / Kayak / Other (with kids)

fickman
Explorer
Explorer
I have two little (8') sit-on-top kayaks that aren't quite what I was looking for. Now I'm trying to do some research and find something that will be more useful for me without breaking the bank.

I'm starting to think a recreational canoe would be better and thought I'd start a discussion here.

The simple goal is to have a paddle-powered boat to take on the water and let my kids take turns riding along (only the oldest is probably ready to contribute by paddling, but I wouldn't rely on her just yet).

Considerations:
- Most of the water around us are good size lakes / reservoirs. The sit on top kayaks are too unstable when you leave the shoreline and coves on these bodies of water.

- I need to be prepared to paddle by myself at times until the kids are older. My FIL or DW might come along sometimes, but I don't want to be stuck on shore needing another adult paddler.

- I need to be able to transport it (either roof mount on the van or PUP, although I don't have the mounting systems yet, that'll be an additional cost to account for). My PUP is designed for roof racks, we just don't have them. The van would give us more flexibility to use it locally without using the PUP, but man, that roof is pretty high up there. This isn't a deal breaker - I'm sure we can make most anything work.

Thoughts?

Should I just break down and rent a canoe when I get to camp??? ๐Ÿ™‚
DW, DD (2007), DS (2008), DD (2010), DD (2011), and me

2010 Chevrolet Express 3500 LT
6.0 liter V8 SWB 12-passenger van

2008 Fleetwood Utah Popup Camper
8 REPLIES 8

MKish
Explorer
Explorer
Also check out http://www.paddling.net/ and visit their forums.

We got a large, lightweight tripping canoe for 4 people plus dog.

It's better without dog. ๐Ÿ™‚

fickman
Explorer
Explorer
Some great ideas! Thanks, everybody!
DW, DD (2007), DS (2008), DD (2010), DD (2011), and me

2010 Chevrolet Express 3500 LT
6.0 liter V8 SWB 12-passenger van

2008 Fleetwood Utah Popup Camper

LoudDog
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with a canoe. When using a canoe for pack trips i buy one before the trip and sell it for the same price after. Much easier than storing it and cheaper than renting! ๐Ÿ™‚

May want to look at a portabote though? They are spendy but you can find them on craigslist used in the $500 range.
TV: 2012 Ram 2500
TT: 2023 Cougar 22MLS

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with trnfla, check out the entire line of Sea Eagles. They are wonderful, get great reviews, last quite a while if taken care of, pack away compactly and are not too expensive. You can get one that will carry 600 lbs, so you could probably take all the kids.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Find kayak/canoe specialty stores in your area. Start calling them and ask about demo days. Many outfitters will take a lot of their inventory out once a year to a local lake/river and let you try different types/sizes before you buy. They're usually very knowledgeable about what would best suit your needs.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

srdeane
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind carrying kayaks, you may be happy with a recreational kayak. We got Old Town Vapor 10's. They are single person kayaks, but if you have little kids that won't overload the kayak with your combined weight, it might work. A lot of people take dogs in the recreational kayaks. They are quite stable and easy to get into and out of compared to a kayak with a smaller cockpit. However, the Sea Eagle may be a good choice, too since you should be able to paddle it solo in the tandem arrangement.

trnfla
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered this Sea Eagle 370
Now 2004 Winnie Minnie 31C
Had 2007 Zeppelin 190 Hybrid,
1999 30' Dutchman Classic FW

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy a canoe. They hold their value well. We had one, and enjoyed it. But be sure to consider the weight and carrying capacity. Ours was too heavy for one person to carry, but the weight made it stable in rough waters. Also, be sure it can hold everyone. Ours could only carry 3 of the 4 family members, which always left someone on shore. We are now looking for a couple kayaks.
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4