cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First trip with new baby advice

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey everyone, my wife and I can't wait to introduce our little girl to camping and are looking for any advice anyone might have on what to bring/do and want not to do. She will be 1 in July but was born 3 months premature so will be closer to a 9 month old when we head out. We've got a few weekend trips in May/June planned to test things out but then in July we are heading out for a 3 week trip to Idaho, Oregon and Montana...which might be a little ambitious but go big or go home right?! Thanks in advance for your tips!
Camper:
2015 Evergreen Ascend 232BHS
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
21 REPLIES 21

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We set up our dinette as a bed without cushions and secured the pack-n-play on top. Later we used the jack-knife sofa with lots of pillows around including on the floor. Worked out great!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
My oldest daughter made her first camping trip at 6 weeks old; now, at 30, she still camps (along with her husband and my grandson). My other 2 kids followed suit, and they too are still camping as adults.

There's really nothing much different about taking care of a baby while camping than while at home; your TT is just a smaller version of your S&B home. All the same things apply, but you will be making memories for a lifetime.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
We were very experienced campers when babies started showing up....plus the wife is A type personality, everything needed was in the car or tent. Lol

That was mid 80's and can't remember any negative experiences.

Just have fun and enjoy your beautiful family.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our oldest went on her first picnic when she was 1 day old and her first camping (tent) trip when she was 1 week old. #2 daughter was born in Feb and she was 3 months old when she started tent camping. Keep them warm and the diapers empty and they will be fine. We never had electricity or heat and they lived. Don't overthink everything. If you are comfortable, they will be also. Our daughters are in their 30's and they love backpacking, using their own pop-up campers and they take friends with them frequently.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
Ours started camping as soon as we could get out, we made the decision to have a class c we could have full services in while going down the road, we used our infant care leave at work to drive to Alaska with her at 5 months old, great memories from that trip and more when our son came along about 17 months later we still take a 3 week trip somewhere every summer. Checks out www.bumfuzzle.com to see what they did with their kids
Winnebago Access 24V

frankgibbons194
Explorer
Explorer
Go for it. Keep the baby warm and always make sure you've enough food for her. And of course, don't be lazy to wash her off when she does a potty in the diaper. It will make her feel comfortable.

Pheonix87
Explorer
Explorer
Best of luck and have tons of fun! Make sure that you plan out the trip so that you are near clean water sources and power is available to have all the conditions you need for the little one.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
A "screen house" is a great way to limit bugs ! I would not camp without one !

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Kevinwa wrote:

One heads up, word of caution. A wet diaper can set off the LP gas detector.

:B
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

smarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did this with both our kids. No special steps. Enjoy!

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Both of my daughters went on their first camping trip in a popup in the late fall, when they were 2 months old. We used a pack n play for their bed, which we sat up in one of the bed areas, used a baby bathtub for baths in the camper, used the pack n play for outdoor time (used a mosquito net over it when the bugs dictated it).

They have continued to love camping and they are now teenagers. They each bring someone with them.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
my daughter camped at 4 months old (born mid winter or it would have been sooner). Son camped at 7 weeks (did 2 weeks in NICU or it would have been sooner) babies are easier than kids to camp with. they need the same things. Keep bugs and sun off, control their temp. we had a packNplay for the camper with a bug net that fit nicely over it. it was crib at night and came out to be a play area during the day.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you have a good safe way to keep the bugs off/away from the baby!

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
sam22 wrote:
Hey everyone, my wife and I can't wait to introduce our little girl to camping and are looking for any advice anyone might have on what to bring/do and want not to do. She will be 1 in July but was born 3 months premature so will be closer to a 9 month old when we head out. We've got a few weekend trips in May/June planned to test things out but then in July we are heading out for a 3 week trip to Idaho, Oregon and Montana...which might be a little ambitious but go big or go home right?! Thanks in advance for your tips!

Be prepared in advance for emergencies for your daughter's needs:
1. GPS the nearest hospital/Emergency care center before you arrive at your RV site.
2. Have Medical Emergency Kit in your rig.
3. Bring extra medications your daughter might need.
4. Always start each trip with full propane tanks for heating in the event you loose electricity.
5. Bring extra food supplies.
6. Make sure trailer batteries are good and fully charged.